Summer Bursary Program

About the program

The NSDRC Summer Bursary Program offers financial support to North and West Vancouver families/guardians of children and youth who have a special need, disability or are in the process of receiving a diagnosis and may require additional support to attend summer recreation programs, camps or community-based activities. Bursaries can be used towards program or camp fees or to assist with payment of a support worker.

Funding for bursaries is made possible from a contract from the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). Other funding sources typically include Variety the Children’s Charity, CIBC Wood Gundy, West Vancouver Community Foundation, Service Clubs and private donations. We gratefully acknowledge the support of the District of West Vancouver, District of North Vancouver and City of North Vancouver through their Community Grants programs.


To be eligible for a bursary children/youth must be no younger than entering pre-school in September and under the age of 19 as of July 1st. Bursary funding maximums change from year to year; the average bursary received is $250 per child. Bursary allocations are dependant on funds available; applicants may or may not receive the maximum bursary.

Bursary applications are now open. Bursary applications are available annually from February 1 to April 1.

grant allocation process

Funding allocations are made in conjunction with representatives of MCFD and other service providers on the North Shore. Applicants are notified by email as to the amount of bursary allocated by early June. As camp refund policies are usually good and as programs often fill up quickly, we suggest families register their child/youth for a program before receiving bursary confirmation.

Families/guardians are expected to pay for the program/camp first. Reimbursements for costs occur once the NSDRC has received all receipts required. Families/guardians are responsible for hiring their own support worker and paying those wages that are mutually agreed upon. Receipt forms for support work will be issued as required.

Download the 804.0C Receipt for Hours Worked (

contact information

For further information or assistance, please call Kim Miles at (604) 985-5371‬ or email

Frequently Asked Questions


How much bursary money can I apply for?

Bursary funding maximums change from year to year. The average bursary received is $250.00 per child requiring additional support. If there are funds left at the end of the summer you may be eligible for some additional funds.


Do I have to complete separate applications for each of my children who require additional support?

Yes, thank you.


When are bursary applications available?

Bursary applications are available online February 1st each year at Summer Bursary Application . Submission deadline is April 1st at midnight.


I don’t have a computer. How can I apply for a bursary?

You are welcome to come into our office to use our community computer or request a hard copy of the bursary application. You can find our contact information here.


What kind of camps/programs can the bursary money be used for?

You are able to register your child into whatever type of summercamps/programs that work best for your child. This includes pre-school programs, recreational programs, computer classes, music or art therapy programs, social skills groups, overnight camps etc. Ensure that the camp/program will issue you a receipt.


Are there things that I cannot use the bursary money for?

Bursary money cannot be used for transportation, accommodation, food costs, movie tickets, entrance fees, tutoring, adaptive equipment, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, or medical-related costs.


When do I register for summer camps?

As camps/programs fill up quickly we recommend that you register your child into the camp/program you want as soon as possible. Keep your receipt for reimbursement.


I want to use the bursary money to hire a worker but I don’t know of any workers to hire. What should I do?

Please contact our office for a list of workers who might be available to work with your child. Remember that you will be hiring the worker and paying the worker privately. After the worker has worked and you have paid them, download the Receipts of Hours Worked form from the website, complete it and submit it to our office for reimbursement.


How or when do I receive the bursary money?

  • Camp/Program Fees: Between July and August please submit your camp/program receipt(s) to our office.
  • Hiring a worker: After the worker has worked and you have paid them, download the Receipts of Hours Worked form from the website, complete it and submit it to our office for reimbursement.

Receipts will be processed and a cheque will be made out to you. You will be notified when the cheque is available for pick up at our office.


Do you require original receipts for reimbursement?

Copies of receipts are fine. Receipts can be dropped off, emailed or faxed to the office. You can find our contact information here. Please ensure that both your name and your child’s name are clearly marked on the receipt.


What is the deadline to submit a request for reimbursement?

All receipts and requests for reimbursements must be received by our office no later than September 15th.


Can I have the bursary money allocated directly to the camp?

In some cases bursary money can be directly allocated to a camp/program. Please call our office to discuss. You can find our contact information here.


I’m financially strapped; can I receive the bursary money up front?

In some cases bursary money can be received before registering for a camp/program. Please contact our office to discuss this option. You can find our contact information here.


My contact information has changed, how do I update you with my new information?

Please contact our office and provide us with your new contact information. You can find our contact information here.


My child did not attend the camp I registered him/her into; can I use the bursary money for another camp?

Yes, you are able to use the bursary money for the camp/program that suits your child best. Please ensure you receive a receipt for the camp or program for reimbursement.


I was awarded a bursary last year but was not able to use it. Is possible to carry the funding forward to this summer?

No, unused bursaries are distributed to families on the wait list who applied after the deadline.

won't you join us?

Each of us has a role to play in creating the community we want to live, work and play in. Join our email list to keep up to date on NSDRC news. Let's build a better community together!

North Shore Disability Resource Centre

3158 Mountain Highway

North Vancouver, BC

V7K 2H5

phone: 604-985-5371

fax: 604-985-7594


connect with us

United Way member agency

The NSDRC was started by a group of families in 1976. In the years since, we have worked for a "Community for All" by developing and providing community housing, infant development programs, youth groups, community-based services, and information and advocacy.

We are grateful for the opportunity to work, live and play on the unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.