resource guide

From advocacy to volunteering, our resource guide lists a comprehensive range of programs, services and resources for people with disabilities.


Simply click the quick links below to jump to the section of interest. If you are not able to find what you're looking for, please feel free to contact our Information & Advocacy Program. We may be able to help!


income supports advocacy

Canadian Mental Health Association, North Shore Branch

The Canadian Mental Health Association provides mental health promotion and mental illness recovery-focused programs and services for people of all ages and their families. Provide support for counselling, youth, campus, employment, housing, workplace and community training.


phone: 604-987-6959 • fax: 604-980-0336



address: Suite 300 – 1835 Lonsdale Ave • North Vancouver, BC V7M 2J8

individual advocacy

Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network (PLAN)

Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network (PLAN) is a non-profit agency that specializes creating Personal Support Networks, Planning and Advocacy , Financial Planning and Family Support & Leadership.


phone: 778-819-1726; 604-439-9566 (workshops & courses)



address: 312 Main Street, 2nd Floor • Vancouver, BC V6A 2T2

VELA Microboard Association of BC

A Microboard™ is a small (micro) group of committed family and friends (a minimum of 5 people) who join together with the individual to create a non-profit society (board). Together, you help the individual:

  • plan his/her life;
  • brainstorm ideas;
  • advocate for what they need;
  • monitor services and ensure they are safe;
  • connect to his/her wider community; and
  • do fun things together.

If you choose to, a Microboard can also access funding and deliver the services that the individual needs. Together you can create services that are creative, flexible and reflect the needs of the individual. Funding may come from a government agency such as the Ministry of Children and Family Development, Community Living BC, the Ministry of Health, a trust or a settlement (i.e. ICBC, WorkSafeBC). If the Microboard does not want to access funding and deliver the services, the individual may still choose to access Individualized Funding.


phone: 604-539-2488



address: #1 5761 Glover Rd • Langley, BC V3A 8M8

systemic advocacy

BC Office of the Ombudsperson

The Office of the Ombudsperson can help determine whether B.C. provincial and local public authorities have acted fairly and reasonably – and whether their actions and decisions were consistent with relevant legislation, policies and procedures. As an independent statutory office of the provincial legislature, our services are provided free of charge.


phone: 1-800-567-3247 (toll-free in B.C.) or 250-387-5855 (Victoria) • fax: 250-387-0198 (Victoria)


address: 947 Fort St – 2nd floor • Victoria, BC V8V 3K3

(a call in advance will allow us to serve you more promptly)

BC Self-Advocacy Foundation

The BC Self Advocacy Foundation was founded in 1985 with the help of Inclusion BC, formerly the BC Association for Community Living. It was created in response to the request of people with developmental disabilities for an organization that would “assist people with developmental disabilities to become full, participating citizens in their own communities.”


phone: 604-777-9100 • fax: 604-777-9394 • toll free: 1 800-618-1119



address: 227 6th Street • New Westminster, BC V3L 3A5

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)

At Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), are driven by our belief that everyone in Canada should have a roof over their head, and that a world-leading housing system can be the cornerstone of a thriving and inclusive society. CMHC work with community organizations, the private sector, non-profit agencies and all levels of government to contribute to the stability of the financial system, facilitate access for Canadians in housing need, and offer objective housing research and advice to governments, individuals and the housing industry.


phone: 1-800-668-2642 • fax: 604-737-4139



address: Regional Business Centre • 2000 – 1111 West Georgia Street • Vancouver, BC V7Y 1K9

Cascadia Society for Social Working

The Cascadia Society is a life-sharing community that includes adults with special needs. Cultural, artistic and therapeutic experiences are provided through residential home care and day activities within the urban setting of Vancouver’s North Shore. The Cascadia Society is dedicated to bringing healing to human beings and to the earth. Their primary task is to allow the potential in each person to unfold and to be in harmonious relationship with the environment.


phone: 604-987-3407 • fax: 604-987-3408



address: 351 West 19th Street • North Vancouver, BC V7M 1X7

Civil Rights Now!

Civil Rights Now! – is an all-volunteer, non-partisan, not-for-profit organization registered under the BC Societies Act. Their goal is to get statutes passed by the provincial government which will ensure persons with disabilities living in British Columbia receive equal benefit and protection of the law.


phone: 778-986-1851



address: Suite 425, 1489 Marine Drive • West Vancouver, BC V7T 1B8

Down Syndrome Research Foundation

The Down Syndrome Research Foundation believes that education and optimum health care will provide an improved quality of life for people with Down syndrome. Our innovative programs and services provide a firm foundation for life long learning. For information on our educational programs for individuals with Down syndrome across the lifespan, click here .


phone: 604-444-3773 • toll free: 1-888-464-DSRF • fax: 604-431-9248



address: 1409 Sperling Avenue • Burnaby BC V5B 4J8

Family Services of the North Shore

Family Services of the North Shore provide education, support and counselling services to heal and connect our community. This means all Individuals and Couples, Parents and Families and Youth have access to assistance offered on an individual basis or in a group setting. A full listing of our programs and services can be found HERE .


phone: 604-988-5281



address: Suite 203 – 1111 Lonsdale Avenue • North Vancouver, BC V7M 2H4

Family Support Institute

The purpose of the Family Support Institute of BC is to strengthen, connect and build communities and resources with families of people with disabilities in BC. We believe that families are the best resource available to support one another. Directed by families, the Family Support Institute provides information, training, and province-wide networking to assist families and their communities to build upon and share their strengths.


phone: 604-540-8374 ext. 523 • toll free: 1-800-441-5403 • fax: 604-540-9374


address: 227 6th Street • New Westminster, BC V3L 3A5

Information & Advocacy Program, North Shore Disability Resource Centre

The North Shore Disability Resource Centre (NSDRC) provides free advocacy and information services to individuals with any disability and their families/caregivers seeking to access services or programs. They also provide information to professionals for their clients, and to the general public.

  • Assists with PWD applications and Reconsiderations, CPP Disability, OAS and GIS forms, and Disability Tax credits etc;
  • Assists with housing forms from BC Housing, Seniors and Non-Profit Housing Providers.

The NSDRC also provides information to all levels of government to ensure awareness of issues facing people with disabilities, their caregivers, and the community.


* Open referrals *


phone: 604-985-5371 • fax: 604-985-7594



address: 3158 Mountain Highway • North Vancouver V7K 2H5

North Shore Advisory Committee on Disability Issues

The North Shore Advisory Committee on Disability Issues provides a forum for discussion of issues affecting people with all types of disabilities. They formulate proposals, respond to requests, and make recommendations to the three North Shore municipalities (the City and District of North Vancouver and the District of West Vancouver,) that will promote, develop and sustain an accessible community, free of physical and social barriers.


phone: 604-990-2311



address: 355 West Queens Road • North Vancouver, BC

North Shore Community Resources Caregiver program

Stepping into a caregiving role is often a life-altering experience. Being attentive to a loved one’s physical, emotional, and practical needs takes courage, patience, and endurance. You will most likely learn a lot about yourself, about how to access healthcare supports, and about relating to your care partner as their needs change. It can be helpful to find out how to take care of yourself and ensure you get the support you need.


Caregiver Support can help! Services offered include:

  • Monthly Caregiver support groups and relevant workshops
  • Stress management strategies and relaxation techniques
  • Telephone support and one-to-one consultations
  • Bi-monthly Newsletter with informative articles
  • Easy-to-read Blog posts and Facebook updates
  • Referrals to health care and community services
  • Resource Library with books, videos, and articles

Become part of our caregiving community by calling 604-985-7138, or email the registration form to:


phone: 604-985-7138



address: 935 Marine Drive, Suite 201 (2nd floor Capilano Mall) • North Vancouver, BC V7P 1S3

Pivot Point Family Growth Centre

Pivot Point provides an effective and coordinated transition experience for youth with special needs and their families, as they transition into adulthood and establish the foundations of a successful and meaningful life as a maturing individual. This includes a multi-layered system that involves family members, friends, school staff, and other supporters to help create a winning team! We start with a PATH as a Person Centred Planning approach, then provide the leadership, regular meetings, and support to take all the steps necessary to reach success.


phone: 604-531-4544 • toll free: 1-866-531-4544 • Vancouver/Lower Mainland local number: 1-778-724-0239


address: #24 15515 24th Avenue • Surrey, BC

Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network (PLAN)

Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network (PLAN) is a non-profit agency that specializes creating Personal Support Networks , Planning and Advocacy and Family Support & Leadership . PLAN can also help with building Financial Security including help with “Will & Estate Planning” and “Trusts.” Link: Here


phone: 604-439-9566



address: 312 Main Street, 2nd Floor • Vancouver, BC V6A 2T2

Social Planning and Research Council of BC

The Social Planning and Research Council of British Columbia (SPARC BC) was established in 1966 and is a leader in applied social research, social policy analysis and community development approaches to social justice. Our mission is to work with communities in building a just and healthy society for all. We are a non-partisan, registered non-profit society and a federally registered charity. We are a provincial organization with over 16,000 members, governed by a Board of Directors that is representative of all regions of British Columbia.


phone: 604-718-7733 • fax: 604-736-8697



address: 4445 Norfolk Street • Burnaby, BC V5G 4G3


parking permit inquiries:

phone: 604-718-7744 • fax: 604-736-8697 • toll free: 1-888-718-7794


SPARC BC Accessibility and Enforcement Line: 604-718-7734

Teens with Special Needs: Entering Adulthood

Transition planning should include the teen, their family, service providers, school professionals and ministry support staff. It should start no later than age 14 and go until the age of 25. Usually, the plan is started by the teen’s teacher or social worker and is made up of a team of people who either support the teen now or will play a role when the teen becomes an adult.


phone: 604-660-2421 • TDD: 604-775-0303


behaviour management

CBI Consultants

CBI Consultants has been providing person-centered inclusive practices since 1990. We are committed to full inclusion for persons with disabilities. In 1992, we published a research paper outlining our person centered positive practices – The Lifestyle Development Process (LDP), Journal of the Association for Persons with Severe Handicaps. We have provided training and technical assistance to more than 5,000 family members, school personnel, and community living personnel throughout the world.


phone: 604-320-1960 • toll free: 1-877-320-1960



address: Suite 204 – 3970 Hastings Street • Burnaby, BC V5C 6C7

Vinge Community Living

Vinge Community Living Services provides specialized Residential, Day Program and Respite services for individuals with developmental disabilities and complex physical and/or mental health issues and for individuals with complex physical health issues. In addition, we also provide behavioral supports within two of our residential programs and day programs.


Director of Community Living Services | email:


phone: 604-689-3855 ext. 401 • fax: 604-689-3864


address: 416-4538 Kingsway • Burnaby, BC V5H 4T9

counselling & support

Crisis Centre

The Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Centre of BC (Crisis Centre) is a non-profit, volunteer organization committed to helping people help themselves and others dealing with a crisis.


Services include:

  • Training for Community and Service Providers
  • Youth Programs
  • Scholarships
  • Suicide Loss Support Groups
  • Suicide Prevention Planning

Suicide/Crisis Line: 604-872-3311 or 1-800-784-2433


address: 763 Broadway Avenue East • Vancouver, BC V5T 1X8

Family Services of the North Shore

Family Services of the North Shore provide education, support and counselling services to heal and connect our community. This means all Individuals and Couples, Parents and Families and Youth have access to assistance offered on an individual basis or in a group setting. A full listing of our programs and services can be found here .


phone: 604-988-5281



address: Suite 203 – 1111 Lonsdale Avenue • North Vancouver, BC V7M 2H4

Lower Mainland Grief Recovery Society

Lower Mainland Grief Recovery Society provides support groups: Our support groups are designed for those who are struggling with the pain of losing a significant person. Trained and experienced facilitators walk with participants on a journey through healing by offering coping tools, support and the chance to share feelings and stories. Being with others who ‘get’ what you are going through can be extremely comforting and powerful.


phone: 604-696-1060



address: 2490 W. 37th Avenue • Vancouver, BC V6M 1P5

Older Adult Mental Health - Vancouver Coastal Health

We offer specialized services for older adults including mental health outreach, assessment and consultation, treatment, case management, and education. We also provide a rehabilitation program offering individual occupational therapy assessments, psycho-social day program, peer support, and group programs.


phone: 604-736-2033 • fax: 604-913-0066


address: West Vancouver Community Health Centre • 2121 Marine Drive Suite 241 • West Vancouver, BC V7V 1K3

Seniors First BC

Seniors First BC works to prevent elder abuse across the entire province. We provide assistance and support to older adults who are, or may be, abused and those whose rights have been violated. We provide programs that educate, support and advocate on behalf of our clients.


Services include:

  • Seniors Accessing Justice Programs
  • Education & Outreach Programs

SAIL – Seniors Abuse and Information Line: 604-437-1940 or toll free: 1-866-437-1940


phone: 604-688-1927



address: #150-900 Howe Street • Vancouver, BC V6Z 2M4

Suicide / Crisis Line 604-872-3311 or 1-800-784-2433

Help is available! We are here to listen, here to help – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


Suicide/Crisis Line 604-872-3311 or 1-800-784-2433.




employment services

Avia Employment Services

Avia Employment Services helps job seekers find work, and helps employers meet their recruitment needs. Serving Coquitlam, Langley, Port Coquitlam, Richmond and Newton, the program is funded by the BC government’s WorkBC initiative. We are the second largest employment service provider in British Columbia.


phone: 778-728-0175 • fax: 778-728-0201


address: 201 – 7337 137th Street • V3W 1A4 Surrey, BC V3W 1A4

Back in Motion

Back in Motion’s Employment Services addresses both sides of employment-related challenges: the client searching for meaningful and sustainable employment; and the labour shortage experienced by BC employers.


Services include:


phone: 604-575-7745 • toll-free: 1-877-575-2262 • fax: 604-575-7746


address: 205– 5460 152nd Street • Surrey, BC V3S 5J9

BC Human Rights Tribunal

The B.C. Human Rights Tribunal is an independent, quasi-judicial body created by the B.C. Human Rights Code. The Tribunal is responsible for accepting, screening, mediating, and adjudicating human rights complaints. Personal characteristics protected in the BC Human Rights Code include:


Mental Disability – Mental disability includes mental conditions that affect or are seen as affecting a person’s abilities. For example, it is discrimination to fire an employee based on a concern that they are at risk of developing a disability that might affect their abilities. Mental disability includes such conditions as a learning disorder, developmental disability, or illness such as depression or bipolar disorder.


Physical Disability – Physical disability includes physical conditions that affect or are seen as affecting a person’s abilities. For example, it is discrimination to fire an employee based on a concern that they are at risk of developing a disability that might affect their abilities. Physical disability includes conditions that impair a person’s ability to carry out the normal functions of life. It includes addiction, amputation, asthma, acne, diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, high blood pressure, hypertension, obesity and impairments to hearing, speech, vision and mobility. It does not include short-lived conditions such as a cold.

hours of operation: Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm


phone: 604-775-2000 • toll free (in B.C.): 1-888-440-8844 • fax: 604-775-2020 • TTY: 604-775-2021



address: 1170 – 605 Robson Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 5J3

Canadian Council on Rehabilitation and Work

Help you find a job. Help you find a qualified employee.

Help for employers:


Job Accommodation Service (JAS)®: a for-fee program that works with employers to identify then provide tools and strategies to accommodate employees with disabilities to work to their full potential.


phone: 604-439-7947

national email:

website BC:

address: 5623 Imperial Street • Burnaby BC V5J 1G1

CASE: Canadian Association for Supported Employment

The Canadian Association for Supported Employment is a national association of community-based service providers and stakeholders working towards the Employment Inclusion of people with disabilities. This association strives to promote full citizenship and personal capacity for persons with disabilities through the facilitation of increased labor market participation and outcomes. Through such workforce participation, CASE also promotes social inclusion for Canadians with disabilities.


Resources for BC include Family Works BC, Association of Service Providers for Employability and Career Training (ASPECT), Community Living BC, The Provincial Networking Group Inc., Work BC, Community Living British Columbia, and Inclusion BC.


BC contact: President | Annette Borrows –



resources link:

Don't Sweat It Services

Don’t Sweat It Services was created to remove barriers to employment and offers a more flexible approach to paid work. The enterprise provides maintenance, gardening and recycling services to home and business customers. Areas covered Vancouver, North Vancouver, Burnaby, and New Westminster.


phone: 604-872-4001


address: posAbilities • Suite 240-4664 Lougheed Highway • Burnaby, BC, V5C 5T5

Douglas College Vocational Education and Skills Training

Douglas College offers Vocational Education and Skills Training (VEST) programs to people with disabilities or barriers to education and employment. Programs help students identify career paths, develop work skills, or move on to additional education or employment. Graduates of our programs have obtained employment in a wide range of fields including: retail and wholesale, distribution and warehousing, assembly, food services, customer service, hospitality and tourism.


Career Preparation: These two programs help students explore what type of work they may do in the future:

Skills Training: These four programs train students in skills specific to one of the following areas:

phone: 604-527-5126



useful resources: Douglas College Application (PDF)

address: 700 Royal Avenue • New Westminster, BC V3M 5Z5

Ministry for Social Development and Social Innovation

Work BC provides:

  • Jobs and career searching
  • Job training and education
  • Job resources for employers and employees

phone: 1-866-866-0800



Work BC website:

address: 4b7, 2350 Commercial Drive • Vancouver, BC V5N 4B7

Neil Squire Society

The Neil Squire Society helps their clients remove barriers so that they can live independent lives and become active members of the workplace and our society. Specializing in education and workplace empowerment, the Society has served over 30,000 people since 1984.


Employment Programs

  • Working Together: helps people with disabilities prepare for, obtain and maintain employment. This unique, comprehensive and participant centered program is designed to develop the skills required to help individuals achieve their employment goals.
  • Solutions for Employment: provides specialized case managed services for people with disabilities and injuries. Our range of services support job seekers find and maintain employment and improve employment readiness. *Offered at our Western Regional Office only.

BC contact: Western Regional Manager | Greg Pyc –


phone: 604-473-9363 • fax: 604-473-9364 • toll free: 1-877-673-4636



address: 400 – 3999 Henning Drive • Burnaby, BC V5C 6P9

Opportunities Fund Program

The Opportunities Fund Program is a financial assistance program designed to assist persons with a disability obtain employment through:

  • funding for training
  • wage subsidy BC Centre for Ability office
  • funding for adaptive equipment
  • self-employment training

How to apply: Referrals to the Opportunities Fund Program are only received from Case Managers. Learn more about our referral process .


phone: 604-451-5511 • fax: 604-630 3041


address: BC Centre for Ability • 2805 Kingsway • Vancouver, BC V5R 5H9

posAbilities Employment Services

posAbilities Employment Service assists job seekers to prepare for, secure and maintain competitive, community based employment in both the Tri-Cites and Vancouver areas. New to Employment Service is a fee for service being offered throughout Metro Vancouver to assist persons with developmental disabilities to find competitive employment in their community.


phone: 604-291-1902 • fax: 604-299-0329



address: #206 – 3680 E. Hastings Street • Vancouver, BC V5K 2A9

Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) BC

Formerly known as the BC Paraplegic Association, Spinal Cord Injury BC (SCI BC) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping people with spinal cord injuries, and related disabilities, adjust, adapt and thrive. Whether someone needs help finding accessible housing, meaningful employment, special equipment and any other resources about living with a physical disability in BC, we’re here to help.


SCI BC offers a free employment database. As an employer you are able to submit, relist, view and remove your job listings. As a job seeker, you are able to post your resume for potential employers to view, and set up alerts to be notified when positions in your interest areas become available.




phone: 604-324-3611 • fax: 604-326-1229



address: 780 South West Marine Drive • Vancouver, BC V6E 4A4

Work BC Employment Services Centre North Shore

We serve the North Shore, offering free employment and career services, including:

  • Career planning
  • Job search workshops
  • One to one resume and career advising
  • Paid short- and long-term training
  • Employer connections and wage subsidies
  • Funding and training
  • Self-employment planning
  • Internet, phone, photocopying

phone: 604-988-3766 ext. 234



address: Unit 106, 980 West 1st • North Vancouver, BC V7P 3N4

YWCA Metro Vancouver

Find your dream job, explore a new career, get professional advice and start planning for your future. At the YWCA, we offer a range of employment services and programs for job seekers across Metro Vancouver. Let our trained YWCA career advisors connect you to the services and support you need to start and succeed in your job search.

Work BC Centres:


Serving the North Shore: North Shore WorkBC Employment Services Centre


phone: 604-988-3766


address: 106 – 980 1st St W • North Vancouver, BC V7P 3N4


Assistive Technology BC

Assistive Technology BC (ATBC) provides assistive technology resources to make learning and working environment suitable for people with disabilities throughout British Columbia. Assistive Technologies include Speech Recognition, Audio Recording, Concept Mapping, Text to Speech, Screen Readers / Magnifiers, and Operating Systems.

In collaboration with persons with disabilities, post-secondary institutions, employers, community organizations, and our funding partners, ATBC offers a wide range of individualized, centrally coordinated technology services including assessments, assistive equipment, training, and consultation to enable persons with disabilities to achieve their educational and employment goals.


phone: 604-264-8295 • fax/TTY: 604-263-2267



address: #108 – 1750 W. 75th Avenue • Vancouver, BC Canada V6P 6G2

BC Centre for Ability

The BC for Ability helps people with disabilities find employment by raising awareness, identifying opportunities, recruiting candidates, and enabling training and financial support.


Main program: Opportunities Fund Program for Persons with Disabilities .


phone: 604-451-5511 • fax: 604-451-5651



address: 2805 Kingsway • Vancouver, BC V5R 5H9


ConnecTra helps people with disabilities to connect to their communities. ConnecTra offers The Employment Mentorship Support Project (EMSP).

The project will test and evaluate whether the pairing of people with physical disabilities who are seeking employment with community-based, trained volunteer mentors can help reduce obstacles and increase the potential for employment.


The EMSP takes place in six Metro Vancouver communities: North Shore, Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Tri-Cities and Surrey. We have Community Connectors, people with physical disabilities themselves, recruiting participants and volunteer mentors in each of these communities.


The EMSP offers eight months of one-on-one volunteer support for people with disabilities who want to explore work, social and leisure options. Participants will NOT be pressured into work, and will be at NO RISK of losing benefits.


From more information please contact your local Community Connector at ConnecTra.


North and West Vancouver: Community Connector | Louisa Bridgman – or 604-417-1765


phone: 604-688-6464 ext. 115


address: Suite 318 – 425 Carrall Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 6E3

Transition & Employment Program, North Shore Disability Resource Centre

The Transition & Employment program assists young people with disabilities, aged 15+ and their families to navigate the transition from child to adult services, and supports toward employment.


How we can help…

  • Assist youth with disabilities to transition into the government services system
  • Develop a transition plan for your future
  • Provide information regarding transition and employment
  • Facilitate workshops and information sessions
  • Link you to services and resources in the community
  • Attend school transition IEP meetings by request
  • Job Club and employment workshops for job seekers
  • Job development supports

Individual appointments are available. We can also assist employers!


Transition & Employment Facilitator | Aoife Callaghan – 604-904-4075 or


phone: 604-985-5371


address: 3158 Mountain Highway • North Vancouver, BC V7K 2H5

Vancity Savings Credit Union

The Advice and Coaching for Entrepreneurs with a Disability program (ACED) can provide access to business services that help you apply for and receive microloan funding, enhance your business skills, and support the success of your business.


Are you eligible?

  • To be eligible for the ACED program, you must:
  • Be in the process of applying for a Vancity microloan
  • Self-identify and disclose yourself as a person with a disability
  • Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Operate the business in Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley Regional District, Greater Victoria, or the Sea-to-Sky Corridor.

Program benefits: Your ACED program manager will work closely with you to identify the business support you need. Services include:

  • Training and/or review services to help you prepare your business plan
  • Business coaching, counselling, and mentorship
  • Help with locating other business resources
  • Through ACED, we’ll engage and pay a third party business advisor to provide these supports to you.

Before you apply: Before applying for a loan to launch a business, we recommend that you contact the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation to determine the impact that generating self-employment or small business income may have on your disability payments. While you must self-identify or disclose your disability to qualify for ACED business support, this is not required to qualify for a microloan.


phone: 604-709-6930 in Vancouver • 250-995-7620 on Vancouver Island




BC Association for Individualized Technology and Supports for People with Disabilities (BCITS)

Through collaboration, BCITS develops and provides client centred technological solutions and supports to optimize independence.

BCITS provides:

  • PROP program: PROP is dedicated to people who need home ventilation.
  • TIL Program: We provide Environmental Control Systems (ECS) that assist people with high level physical disabilities to control devices in their homes and on the go.

Other Programs:

phone: 604-326-0175 • fax: 1-604-326-0176



address: #103 – 366 East Kent Avenue South • Vancouver, BC V5X 4N6

BC Institute of Technology - Accessibility Services

Discover your potential and achieve your post-secondary goals at BCIT! Our focus is to empower you to overcome the limits and barriers that you encounter during your studies, visible and invisible, permanent or temporary. We look forward to helping you “level the playing field” and succeed in your courses. Whether you’re a full-time or a part-time student, or even if you just need help in figuring out which option is the best fit for you, we’d like to meet with you.


Enjoy browsing through the useful information we’ve put together on our website. Then call or come meet with us in a friendly, casual environment! Besides the assistance we can offer you, we can help you find other BCIT or community services when you need them.


The new Adaptive Technology Lab aims to assist students registered with DRC. It contains specialized software, computers, assistive devices, and study space.


phone: 604-451-6963 • fax: 604-432-8839



address: 3700 Willingdon Ave, SW1 Room 2360 • Burnaby, BC V5G 3H2

Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB)

Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) work with people of all ages in their own homes, communities or local CNIB offices – providing a wide range of programs and services Canadians need to see beyond vision loss, build their independence and lead the lives they want.


Services include:

  • Vision Loss Rehabilitation BC: rehabilitation therapy for people with vision loss.
  • Registration and Referral
  • Emotional and wellness support
  • Assistive technology
  • CNIB Sight Solutions BC
  • Shop CNIB
  • Child and family services

phone: (local) 604-431-2121 • (main) 1-800-563-2642


address: Suite 200, 5055 Joyce Street • Vancouver, BC V5R 6B2

Vancouver Adapted Music Society

The Vancouver Adapted Music Society supports and promotes musicians with physical disabilities in the Metro Vancouver area. We operate Canada’s only fully-accessible recording studio, release CDs, create music videos, and promote concerts. VAMS is for beginners as well as those with a background in music. Join VAMS to:

  • Learn guitar, bass, keyboards, singing or studio techniques
  • Record in a fully-accessible studio
  • Perform at one of our Vancouver-area gigs

Our specialized adaptive equipment allows people with all levels of disability to explore music.



GF Strong Rehab Centre

4255 Laurel Street

Vancouver, BC V5Z 2G9


office phone: 604-688-6464 • studio phone: 604-734-1313 ext. 201

studio email:

corporate sponsorship and major gifts email:


address: Suite 318 – 425 Carrall Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 6E3

Wavefront Centre for Communication Accessibility

Wavefront Centre is unique because we are the only organization in British Columbia that houses resources to assist with every aspect of a person’s life under one roof. These resources include hearing aid services, sign language interpreting services, employment counselling services, a job resource centre, a seniors outreach program, a communication devices showroom, informative classes, and community presentations.


Wavefront Centre proudly believes in serving the community as a non-profit organization. This means that any money we earn from our social enterprises, such as our hearing aid clinic, goes back into the community to provide free programs.


Services include:

phone: 778 329 0870 • TTY: 778 329 0870 • TTY: 778 329 0874 • fax: 778 329 0875



address: #514 - 2525 Willow Street • Vancouver, BC V5Z 3N8

financial assistance

financial assistance & discounts

BC General and Health Supplements

When you receive disability assistance, you may be eligible for more money or services to cover extra costs, including:

  • Bus Pass
  • Camp Fees
  • Christmas money
  • Clothing
  • Co-operative Housing Share Purchase
  • Crisis Supplement
  • Family Bonus
  • Family Maintenance
  • Funeral Costs
  • Guide Dog and Service Dog

More services are listed on website here .


phone: 1-866-866-0800


BC Home Owner Grant

The Home Owner Grant reduces the amount of property tax you pay for your principal residence. If you’re a person with a disability, or you live with a relative who has a disability, and you meet certain requirements, you may be eligible for the additional grant of $275 on top of the regular or basic grant of $570. Learn more here .


phone: 604-660-2421 • TDD: 604-775-0303


Compassionate Care Benefits

Compassionate care benefits are Employment Insurance (EI) benefits paid to people who have to be away from work temporarily to provide care or support to a family member who is gravely ill and who has a significant risk of death. A maximum of 26 weeks of compassionate care benefits may be paid to eligible people.


Care or support of a family member means:

  • providing psychological or emotional support; or
  • arranging for care by a third party; or
  • directly providing or participating in the care.

To be eligible for compassionate care benefits, you must be able to show that:

  • your regular weekly earnings from work have decreased by more than 40 percent; and
  • you have accumulated 600 insured hours of work in the last 52 weeks, or since the start of your last claim (this period is called the qualifying period).

Apply here .


toll free: 1-800-206-7218 • TTY: 1-800-529-3742


address: North Shore Service Canada Centre • 221 Esplanade West, Office 100 • North Vancouver, BC V7M 1A6

Home Improvement Assistance Programs

The Home Improvement Assistance Programs are funded by the Government of British Columbia, and help seniors make their homes safer, more accessible, and more energy efficient. Services include:

phone: 604-660-2421 • TDD: 604 775-0303


Residential Assistance Program for Working Families with Children

The Rental Assistance Program provides eligible low-income, working families with cash assistance to help with their monthly rent payments. Check RAP’s website to see if you are eligible.


phone: 604-433-2218 • toll free: 1-800-257-7756 • fax: 604-439-4729


address: The Housing Registry / SAFER / Rental Assistance Program • Suite 101-4555 Kingsway • Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8

Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters

The Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) program helps make rents affordable for BC seniors with low to moderate incomes. SAFER provides monthly cash payments to subsidize rents for eligible BC residents who are age 60 or over and who pay rent for their homes.



SAFER Application Form

SAFER Brochure


phone: 604-433-2218 • toll free: 1-800-257-7756 • fax: 604-439-4729


address: The Housing Registry / SAFER / Rental Assistance Program • Suite 101-4555 Kingsway • Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8

income and pension programs

provincial programs

The Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction

The Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction focuses on providing British Columbians in need with a system of supports to help them achieve their social and economic potential. If you are living with a disability in B.C., there are programs and services available to you.


Featured Services:

Note: this Ministry used to be called the Ministry for Social Development and Social Innovation.


phone: 1-866-866-0800 • TDD: 604-775-0303 • fax: 1-855-771-8731


address: 1050 Churchill Crescent • North Vancouver, BC V7P 3M7

Persons with Disability Income Assistance (PWD)

Disability Income Assistance can help you if you need financial or health support. You must be designated as a Person with Disabilities (PWD) to receive this type of assistance. My Self Serve (MySS) provides online access to income and disability assistance for residents of British Columbia. Access MySS here .


fax: 1-855-771-8731 • phone: 1-866-866-0800 • TDD: 604-775-0303


address: 1050 Churchill Crescent • North Vancouver, BC BC V7P 3M7

Seniors Supplement

The Senior’s Supplement is a provincial top-up to the federal Old Age Security (OAS)/Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) payment. The Senior’s Supplement ensures a conditionally guaranteed minimum income level for residents of BC and is paid to low-income residents of BC who are 65 years of age and older and who are receiving OAS/GIS or federal Allowance (formerly Spouse’s Allowance).


phone: 1-866-866-0800 • TDD: 604 775-0303


federal programs

Allowance for the Survivor

The Allowance for the Survivor is a benefit available to people aged 60 to 64 who have a low income, who are living in Canada, and whose spouse or common-law partner has died. You qualify for the Allowance for the Survivor if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • you are aged 60 to 64 (includes the month of your 65th birthday);
  • you are a Canadian citizen or a legal resident;
  • you reside in Canada and have resided in Canada for at least 10 years since the age of 18
  • your spouse or common-law partner has died and you have not remarried or entered into a common-law relationship; and
  • your annual income is less than the maximum annual threshold.

phone: 1-800-277-9914


address: Service Canada Office • 221 Esplanade W, Office 100 • North Vancouver, BC V7M 1A6

Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) provides contributors and their families with partial replacement of earnings in the case of retirement, disability or death. Almost all individuals who work in Canada outside Quebec contribute to the CPP.




1. Overview

2. Eligibility

3. How much could you receive

4. What you need before you start

5. Apply

6. After you have applied

7. While on CPP benefits


phone: 1-800-622-6232 • toll free: 1-800-277-9914


address: Service Canada Office • 221 Esplanade W, Office 100 • North Vancouver, BC V7M 3N7

Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPPD)

The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) provides disability benefits to people who have made enough contributions to the CPP and who are disabled and cannot work at any job on a regular basis. Benefits may also be available to their dependent children.




1. Overview

2. Eligibility

3. How much could you receive

4. What you need before you start

5. Apply

6. After you’ve applied

7. While on Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefit


phone: 1-800-277-9914


address: Service Canada Office • 221 Esplanade W, Office 100 • North Vancouver, BC V7M 3N7

Employment Insurance Benefits

Employment Insurance benefits include information about Employment Insurance (EI) temporary benefits for workers, sickness, fishing and family-related benefits as well as how to apply online and submit a report.


Services and Information:

phone: 1-800-206-7218


Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)

The Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) provides a monthly non-taxable benefit to Old Age Security (OAS) pension recipients who have a low income and are living in Canada.



phone: 1-800-277-9914


address: Service Canada Office • 221 Esplanade W, Office 100 • North Vancouver, BC V7M 3N7

Old Age Security (OAS)

The Old Age Security program is the Government of Canada’s largest pension program. It is funded out of the general revenues of the Government of Canada, which means that you do not pay into it directly.


The Old Age Security (OAS) pension is a monthly payment available to seniors aged 65 and older who meet the Canadian legal status and residence requirements. You may need to apply to receive it.




1. Overview

2. Eligibility

3. How much could you receive

4. What you need before you start

5. Apply

6. After you’ve applied

7. While receiving an Old Age Security pension


phone: 1-800-277-9914


address: Service Canada Office • 221 Esplanade W, Office 100 • North Vancouver, BC

tax programs

Caregiver Tax Credit

If you have a dependent with a physical or mental impairment, you may be eligible for the Family Caregiver Amount tax credit. If you’re eligible, you may be able to claim extra money for one or more of the following:

  • spouse or common-law partner amount
  • amount for an eligible dependent
  • infirm dependents age 18 or older
  • children under 18 years of age
  • caregiver amount

phone: 1-866-461-FCAC (3222) • TTY: 1-866-914-6097 / 613-947-7771 • fax: 1-866-814-2224 / 613-941-1436


Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP)

Through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP), community organizations host free tax preparation clinics and arrange for volunteers to complete income tax and benefit returns for eligible individuals who have a modest income and a simple tax situation.


To find a clinic anywhere in BC :

Disability Tax Credit

The disability tax credit (DTC) is a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities or their supporting persons reduce the amount of income tax they may have to pay. An individual may claim the disability amount once they are eligible for the DTC. This amount includes a supplement for persons under 18 years of age at the end of the year. The purpose of the DTC is to provide for greater tax equity by allowing some relief for disability costs, since these are unavoidable additional expenses that other taxpayers don’t have to face.


For step-by-step instructions for filling out Form T2201 for DTC, click here .


Assistance for filling out the forms is available for free by calling the North Shore Disability Resource Centre at 604-985-5371.


fax: 604-689-7536 • phone: 1-800-959-8281


address: 468 Terminal Ave • Vancouver, BC V6A 2M5

Fuel Tax Refund Program

When you purchase fuel in B.C., you pay fuel tax. If you have a qualifying disability, the fuel tax refund program allows you to request a refund of the provincial motor fuel tax you paid in B.C. on fuel you used in a vehicle you own or lease. If you qualify, you’re eligible for a fuel tax refund of up to $500 each calendar year.


To request a refund you need to:


1. Register for the program

2. Receive a confirmation letter

3. Keep your fuel receipts

4. Apply for a refund


toll free: 1-877 388-4440 • TDD: Vancouver: 604-775-0303 | elsewhere in BC: 1-800-661-8773 • fax: 250-356-2195



GST / HST Tax Credit

The GST/HST credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low or modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay. You no longer have to apply for the GST/HST credit. The Canada Revenue Agency will automatically determine your eligibility when you file your next income tax and benefit return for the 2014 and later tax years.


fax: 604-689-7536 • phone: 1-800-267-6999


address: 468 Terminal Ave • Vancouver, BC

Income Tax Clinics - North Shore Disability Resource Centre

Trained volunteers prepare simple income tax returns for people with low income. Clinics operate during March and April and home visits can be arranged.


phone: 604-985-7138 • fax: 604-985-0645



address: Suite 201-935 Marine Drive • North Vancouver, BC V7P 1S3

Property Tax Deferment Program

Tax deferment is a low interest loan program that helps qualified BC homeowners pay their annual property taxes on their principal residence. There are certain situations where property taxes can’t be deferred. If your tax deferment application is approved, the government will pay your property taxes on your behalf and place a restrictive lien on your property. This means you are limited to the types of changes you can make to your property’s title while you are in the tax deferment program.


Here’s how it works:


1. Receive your annual property tax notice

2. Confirm you qualify for one of the tax deferment programs

3. Make sure your property tax account is up to date

4. Submit your application to the correct office

5. Know what to expect if your application is approved

6. Renew your tax deferment loan agreement each year


phone: 250-387-0555 • toll free: 1-888-355-2700 • TDD: Vancouver: 604-775-0303 | elsewhere in BC: 1-800-661-8773




health information

BC Ministry of Health

The Ministry of Health has overall responsibility for ensuring that quality, appropriate, cost effective and timely health services are available for all British Columbians.


Services Provided:

  • Health & Drug Coverage
  • Accessing Health Care
  • Health Forms
  • Health Care Complaints
  • Office of the Provincial Health Officer
  • Office of Indigenous Health
  • B.C. Guidelines
  • Emergency Medical Assistants
  • Setting Priorities

toll free: 1-800-465-4911


address: 1515 Blanshard Street • Victoria, BC V8W 3C8

The Essential Guide to Travelling with a Medical Condition

Travelling with a medical condition or a disability? Check out this guide for helpful tips:

Health Insurance BC (MSP and Pharmacare)

In Canada, public health insurance is available to eligible residents. Canadian citizens and permanent residents can apply for provincial health insurance. On behalf of the B.C. government, Health Insurance BC (HIBC) administers medical coverage through the Medical Services Plan (MSP), which covers the cost of medically-necessary insured doctor services.


Drug coverage is administered through PharmaCare which helps B.C. residents with the cost of eligible prescription drugs, certain medical supplies, and pharmacy services. It provides assistance through several drug plans. HIBC also administers Fair PharmaCare programs. Coverage under this plan is based on family net income. It is available to single people or to families.


B.C. residents can find out how to apply here: How to apply


phone: Vancouver: 604-683-7151 | elsewhere in BC: 1-800-663-7100

TDD: Vancouver: 604 775-0303 | elsewhere in BC: 1 800 661-8773


Healthlink BC (811)

8-1-1 is a free-of-charge provincial health information and advice phone line available in British Columbia. The 8-1-1 phone line is operated by HealthLink BC, which is part of the Ministry of Health.


Call 8-1-1 from anywhere in British Columbia to speak to:

  • Health service navigators – anytime day or night
  • Registered nurses – anytime day or night
  • Registered dietitians – Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm PT
  • Exercise professionals – Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm PT
  • Pharmacists – anytime day or night

phone: 811 (no area code, have your MSP number handy; CAN access without an MSP card)


Non-Emergency BC Ambulance Service

There are a variety of payment options for you to choose from. Your BC Ambulance Service bill can be paid by direct payment, credit card, cheque or money order. All payments must be made in Canadian funds. If it is an emergency call 9-1-1.


phone service : 604-872-5151

billing phone: 250-356-0052 or Toll Free: 1-800-665-7199

fax: 250-356-0581

billing email:

billing website:

address: PO Box 9676 Stn Prov Govt • Victoria, BC V8W 9P7

Poison Control 604-682-5050

If you suspect someone has been poisoned by a medicine, chemical or other substance, call the Poison Control Centre at 604-682-5050 or 1-800-567-8911.


24-hour line: 1-800-567-8911 or 604-682-5050 (Telephone interpreting in over 150 languages available.)



hospitals and in-patient care centres

Sexual Health Rehabilitation Centre

Sexual Health Rehabilitation Service- GF Strong Rehab Centre provides a tertiary service composed of five Sexual Health Clinicians and a Sexual Medicine Doctor, who have been specifically trained in the field of sexual health, disability and rehabilitation.


phone: 604-737-6291

fax: 604-730-7904



address: 4255 Laurel Street • Vancouver, BC V5Z 2G9

health specialities

ALS Society of BC

The ALS Society of BC is dedicated to providing direct support to ALS patients, along with their families and caregivers, to ensure the best quality of life possible while living with this disease. Through assisting research, we are committed to finding the cause and cure for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).


phone: 604-278-2257 • toll free: 1-800-708-3228 • fax: 604-278-4257



address: 1233 – 13351 Commerce Parkway • Richmond, BC V6V 2X7

Alzheimer Society of British Columbia

The Alzheimer Society’s Resource Centre exists to alleviate the personal and social consequences of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, to promote public awareness and to search for the causes and the cure.


phone: 604-681-6530 • toll free: 1-800-667-3742 • fax: 604-669-6907



address: 300-828 W. 8th Avenue • Vancouver, BC V5Z 1E2

BC Epilepsy Society

The BC Epilepsy Society’s mission is to empower, educate and support British Columbians living with epilepsy and their families, and support research to make their lives easier.


Programs include:


Clinic Support Services

Partners in Teaching

Women in Mind

Peer Support

Parent Network Meetings

Epilepsy Surgery Friends Network


phone: 604-875-6704 • fax: 604-875-0617



address: 610-4180 Lougheed Highway • Burnaby, BC V5C 4B3

Cerebral Palsy Association of BC (CPABC)

We provide support, education, and information throughout BC.


phone: 604-408-9484 • fax: 604-408-9489 • toll free: 1-800-663-0004


address: #330-409 Granville Street • Vancouver, BC V6C 1T2

College of Occupational Therapists of BC

To work as an occupational therapist in B.C. and to use the title: Occupational Therapist or OT* individuals must register with the College. Registration indicates that the individual has met the education and practice standards, as well as the annual continuing competence requirements. When looking for an occupational therapist (OT), it is important to check that he or she is registered with the College.


phone: 250-386-6822 • toll free in BC: 1-866-386-6822

fax: 250-38-6824



address: 402-3795 Carey Rd • Victoria, BC V8Z 6T8

Down Syndrome Research Foundation (DSRF)

DSRF offers a wide variety of educational opportunities to children and young adults with Down syndrome, including ground-breaking one to one reading and math instruction, speech-language therapy, occupational therapy, and a variety of adult education programs which prepare our students to live full and fulfilling lives in the community and workplace. Our programs are continually evolving based on the latest intervention research and best practice, and tailored to the individual learner’s strengths, interests and needs.


DSRF’s programs focus on three key areas: speech and language, reading and communication, and enhancing the life skills that will foster maximum independence. For details on our programs, click here .


phone: 604-444-3773 • toll free in Canada: 1-888-464-DSRF

fax: 604-431-9248


address: 1409 Sperling Avenue • Burnaby, BC V5B 4J8

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Society of Canada

The MS Society provides support and services to people who are:

  • Living with a diagnosis of MS or an MS allied disease
  • Waiting for a diagnosis with respect to MS or an MS allied disease
  • Close to a person with MS or an MS allied disease, such as family and friends
  • Caregivers to a person with MS or an allied MS disease
  • Healthcare professionals, employers, institutions and students

Services provided:

  • Information and referral
  • Support and self-help groups
  • Recreation, social and wellness programs
  • Conferences, workshops and education programs
  • Equipment and special assistance
  • Government relations and advocacy

phone: 604-689-3144


address: 4720 Kingsway, Suite 1103, Metrotower II • Burnaby, BC V5H 4N2

Pathways Serious Mental Illness Society

Pathways is a pioneering family-support organization, providing help for those who have relatives with mental illness. We offer personal support and information, education, awareness, and advocacy. Pathways’s work is based on a family peer-support model, where core activities such as the family support group, education course, and one-on-one support, are provided by trained family members – people who have “been through the mill” and can share their experience.


Pathways cover all serious mental illnesses – schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders (including obsessive-compulsive disorder, and borderline personality disorder. they serve the North Shore (North and West Vancouver), Bowen Island, and the Sea to Sky Corridor (Lions Bay, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton).


phone: 604-926-0856


address: 205-1865 Marine Drive • West Vancouver, BC V7V 1J7


PosAbilities assist persons with developmental disabilities to lead meaningful and healthy lives by partnering with the community to provide a comprehensive range of person-centred services for individuals and the families who care for them.


phone: 604-299-4001



address: 240-4664 Lougheed Highway • Burnaby, BC V5C 5T5

Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Association of BC (SBHABC)

Our mission is to improve the quality of life of all individuals with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus and their families through awareness, education, and research. Services provided are camp subsidies, an equipment program, a Bursary program, a driver training program, a recreation Fund, and a clinic fund.


phone: 604-878-7000 • fax: 604-677-6608



mailing address: Suite 228, 102-15910 Fraser Highway • Surrey, BC V4N 0X9

office address: 4480 Oak St, Vancouver, BC V6H 3V4

Vancouver Brain Injury Association

Vancouver Brain Injury Association’s mission is to fill a devastating void for Vancouver and North Shore brain injury survivors by providing programs that are currently unavailable and to connect brain injury survivors, their families, and caregivers to resources that are available.


Services provided:

phone: (604) 779-2472



address: 220 -145 Chadwick Ct, Suite 220 • North Vancouver, BC V7M 3K1

Vancouver Coastal Health, North Shore

Vancouver Coastal Health provides health care services through a network of hospitals, primary care clinics, community health centres and residential care homes. Search our health care services in Vancouver, Richmond, North and West Vancouver and along the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast and BC’s Central Coast.


phone: 604-904-6450


address: 3625 Banff Court • North Vancouver, BC V7H 2Z8

Voice of the Cerebral Palsied of Greater Vancouver (VCP)

The VCP is a self-help support society formed in the firm belief that Cerebral Palsied (CP) adults are the only experts on their own needs and aspirations. The VCP is controlled and operated solely by adults with Cerebral Palsy and other birth defects. It is the only organization in B. C. which truly represents Cerebral Palsied people. The VCP was formed to provide a continuum of services and programs necessary to assist Cerebral Palsied individuals in developing the skills and confidence to assume a productive and meaningful role in society.


Our services include:

  • Computer Services
  • Newsletter
  • Registry Program
  • Outreach
  • Job Development
  • Project Development
  • Housing Development

phone: 604-874-1741 • fax: 604- 874-1746



address: 2251 Kingsway • Vancouver, BC V5N 2T6


emergency housing

Emergency Shelters

Lookout’s shelters include 341 beds in nine shelters that serve Vancouver (both the Downtown Eastside and Central Vancouver), Surrey, the North Shore, Abbotsford and New Westminster. Lookout makes a concerted effort to focus on case plans and work with clients to find suitable housing options – a challenge given the lack of affordable housing in the Lower Mainland. Our North Shore Shelter offers 40 beds.


phone: 604-982-9126 • fax: 604-982-9127



address: 705 West 2nd Street • North Vancouver, BC V7M 1E6

Magnolia House (Vancouver Coastal Health) Short Term Mental Health Facility

Magnolia House is a community-based mental health facility that provides short-term psychiatric emergency and crisis intervention. Our mandate is to provide rapid, urgent, voluntary, short stay, residential placement and mental health/psychiatric treatment for individuals with psychiatric diagnoses, and in crises. We also provide respite services as well as a safe, supportive environment where clients have the opportunity to discuss their current needs and problems.


Services are provided in a home-like setting with the least disruption to client’s life, occupation, and natural support networks. We provide information and referral to relevant community resources to enhance the client’s existing support systems. Stays typically do not exceed 10 working days. This program is operated by Vancouver Coastal Health’s North Shore Acute Psychiatric Services.


phone: 604-984-2789 • fax: 604-984-2629


address: 720 East 17th Street • North Vancouver, BC V7L 2W8

North Shore Crisis Services Society

North Shore Crisis Services Society is to promote a secure and abuse free environment for women and children.


Programs Include:

  • 24 Hour Women’s Support Line: Contact SAGE House or talk to somebody 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – phone: 604-987-3374
  • Sage Transition Housing
  • Outreach Services
  • Homeless Prevention
  • Adolescent and Child Empowerment
  • Good Stuff Connection Clothing Program and Thrift Store

phone: 604-987-3374 • fax: 604-987-5396



address: 154 West 3rd Street • North Vancouver, BC V7M 1E8

North Shore Youth Safe House (Hollyburn Family Services)

North Shore Youth Safe House (NSYSH) provides unique services in response to existing and emerging community social needs on the North Shore.


If you or someone you know is a North Shore youth, aged 13-18, needing a safe place to stay, call our 24-hour toll-free line at 1-877-78-YOUTH (1-877-789-6884) to speak with someone who can help. The Safe House is staffed by caring and friendly youth workers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Using an Integrated Case Management approach skilled youth workers provide the community supports required to meet the complex needs of high-risk youth.


Other services include:

  • Victim Support Program
  • Seniors at Risk Housing
  • Youth Leaving Care
  • Youth Life Success
  • Youth Wired 4 Success

phone: 604-987-8211 • fax: 604-987-8122


address: 104 - 267 West Esplanade, North Vancouver, BC V7M 1A5

Lookout Society

Lookout Housing and Health Society provides non-judgmental, non-sectarian, services to adults who cope with a wide variety of challenges including mental illness, addictions, chronic health conditions (including HIV/AIDS), physical disabilities, social dysfunctions, legal concerns or more frequently a combination of issues. Currently, Lookout operates shelters, transitional, independent and permanent supportive housing, drop-in resource centres, outreach, and health services from our 32 sites in 11 municipalities.


phone: 604-982-9126 • fax: 604-982-9127


address: North Shore Housing Centre -705 West 2nd Street • North Vancouver, BC V7M 1E6


Dovercourt (Abstinence-based Living Residence)

phone: 604-770-0469 • fax: 604-770-0712


address: 1606 Lynn Valley Road • North Vancouver, BC V7J 2B4

The Shelter and Street Help Line - 211

The Shelter and Street Help Line provides free, confidential phone service for information and referral regarding community resources related to homelessness, including shelter bed availability, meal services, financial assistance, medical assistance, mental health services, addiction programs, transition houses, advocacy and legal help, free and low-cost goods, and housing search assistance.


Shelter list for:

phone: 211 (no area code, just dial 2-1-1)

Seniors Homelessness Services (Hollyburn Family Services)

Seniors at Risk Housing – Hollyburn’ s Seniors at Housing Risk Outreach Program provides assistance to seniors (over 55) that are homeless, or at risk of losing their homes. This includes seniors with complex needs around health, mental health, addictions, elder abuse, and financial management. Outreach workers are available to help find appropriate and affordable housing, fill out application forms, make connections to income supports, and provide referrals to mental health care or primary healthcare providers as needed.


Community Action Initiative – “Honoring Our Past, Nurturing Our Future” combines mentorship training, group development and a food cooperative based on intergenerational collaboration between seniors (55+) and youth (19-24). Funded by the Community Action Initiative, this program is a community based, collaborative project in partnership with Canadian Mental Health Association (North Shore branch), Squamish Nation, Tsleil-Waututh Nation, Capilano University and North Shore Neighborhood House.


phone: 604-987-8211 • fax: 604-987-8122


address: #300-10524 King George Blvd • Surrey, BC V3T 2X2

Seniors Services Society - Housing

Seniors Services Society provides information on housing options for seniors (60+). We are not a housing provider nor are we able to provide housing placements; however we have experienced and knowledgeable staff who can provide information that will help you to find appropriate housing. Seniors Services Society is the only non-profit society working specifically with seniors to assist them in finding appropriate housing.


phone: 604-520-6621



address: 750 Carnarvon St • New Westminster, BC V3M 1E6

YWCA Emergency Housing Resources

  • Vi Fineday Family Shelter
  • Saint Elizabeth
  • Sheena’s Place
  • Powell Place Shelter for Women
  • Family Services of Greater Vancouver Safe House
  • Kate Booth House
  • Durrant Transition House

Ministry of Human Resources after hours line: 604-660-3194


Full guide:


phone: 604-734-5722 • fax: 604-879-7120


address: 535 Hornby Street • Vancouver BC V6C 2E8

family housing

BC Housing - Grant McNeil Place

Address: Grant McNeil Place, 202 1st St. West • North Vancouver, BC V7M 1B4


Registry Code: 206

  • 14 – One Bedrooms
  • 63 – Two Bedrooms
  • One pet allowed



office hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

phone: 604-433-2218 or, from outside the Lower Mainland, 1-800-257-7756

apply online:

address: The Housing Registry • 101-4555 Kingsway • Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8

Bloom Group

The Bloom Group provides a home to over 200 people on fixed or low-incomes and at risk of homelessness. Our continuum of housing meets a diverse range of needs in the community. In addition to mental health and supportive housing, we provide affordable housing to almost 100 residents in the Downtown Eastside who live independently.

  • The View
  • Nicholson Tower
  • Somerville Place

The View contact: Coordinator | Nata Belcham at 604-558-7784 or



Nicholson Tower contact: Coordinator | Jason Farrell at 604-558-5941 or



Somerville Place contact: Coordinator | Nata Belcham at 604-558-7784 or



phone: 604-606-0300 • fax: 604-606-0309



address: 391 Powell Street • Vancouver, BC V6A 1G5

Cheshá7min-aw̓txw North Vancouver for Single Mothers and their Children

Cheshá7min-aw̓txw provides nine units of much-needed housing plus an amenity space for single mothers and their children. In addition to social housing, the site also includes a child care centre, grocery store, residential units and office spaces. Priority is given to North Vancouver residents.




phone: 604-734-5722



Covenant House

Covenant House Vancouver provides love and hope to Vancouver’s homeless and at-risk street youth. We help young people aged 16 to 24 who have fled physical, emotional and sexual abuse; those who have been forced from their homes; and those who have aged out of foster care.


Crisis Program: 604-685-7474 or toll free at 1-877-685-7474

administration: 604-685-KIDS (5437)

Pender Street building: 604-647-4480 • fax: 604-685-5324



address: 326 West Pender Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 1T1

Elizabeth Fry Society of Greater Vancouver

EFry is a non-profit organization uniquely focused on delivering gender-specific support. The reasons for this are simple:

  • Women are primarily convicted of non-violent transgressions. There are not enough women in Canada’s prisons to financially merit equal access to the counselling, educational opportunities or transitional housing options available to men.
  • Gender plays a key role in women’s personal circumstances. Two-thirds of female inmates are parents and the vast majority are sole caregivers. Many struggle with addiction and mental illness. Virtually all live below the poverty line and some are homeless.

Our goal is to support criminalized and marginalized women, girls and children in achieving their potential. With the right support, we know females from difficult circumstances can transform their lives – and those of their families – for the better. Dignity, opportunity and equality are the gateway to a world of potential.


phone: 604-520-1166 • fax: 604-520-1169


address: 402 E. Columbia Street • New Westminster, BC V3L 3X1

Margaret Heights - Entre Nous Femmes Housing Society

Margaret Heights

1800 Rufus Drive

North Vancouver, BC V7J 3L7


We have a total of 19 suites.

  • 9 – 2 Bedrooms
  • 6 – 3 Bedrooms
  • 4 – 4 Berooms

The waiting list for this building is anywhere from 1 – 2 years and sometimes longer for the larger suites.


To apply for all of our buildings please call BC Housing at 604-433-2218, or from outside the Lower Mainland at 1-800-257-7756, or contact by us by mail or in person at 101-4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V5H 4 V8. Please include the housing registry code on the application form.


Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.


phone: 604-451-4412 • fax: 604-451-4415

address: #21, 3550 S.E. Marine Drive • Vancouver, B.C. V5S 4R3

Mount Seymour Lions Housing Society

We operate three homes:

  • Lions Garey Ham Court
  • Lions Plaza
  • Lions Terrace

Addresses & Maps:

Description of Housing:

Housing Application:


phone: 604-929-9499 • fax: 604-929-9404


address: #147 — 1300 Parkgate Ave • North Vancouver, BC V7H 2Y2

Saint Elizabeth

At Saint Elizabeth we provide a full range of integrated care solutions that creatively respond to client, community and health system needs across Canada.


Vancouver SE Health Office


phone: 604-739-4300 • fax: 604-430-1221


address: 555 W 12th Avenue, Suite 650 (West Tower) • Vancouver, BC V5Z 3X7


general contact:


toll free: 1-8660-786-0444 • fax: 905-940-9934



Vi Fineday Family Shelter Society

Vi Fineday Family Shelter Society provides 24-hour emergency accommodation for families, single women, single parents (male or female) with their dependent children, and couples without children; 18 beds available in dorm-style bedrooms; not wheelchair accessible. Provides three meals and two snacks daily. Small lockers and bus tickets may be available, although there is no room for carts. A case manager helps clients with resources to find housing and employment; clients have access to internet, phones, and a fax. Zero tolerance for alcohol and drug use; must be clean two weeks prior to admission. Accepts referrals from other agencies and self-referrals. Funded by BC Housing.


phone: 604-736-2423 • fax: 604-736-2330



address: 1906 15th Ave W • Vancouver, BC V6J 2L3

YWCA Vancouver Housing

YWCA operate ten supportive housing communities across Metro Vancouver to help you stabilize your life and connect with your community. There are YWCA housing communities in Vancouver, Surrey, Coquitlam and Langley.


apply and eligibility: https://www.ywcavan.


phone: 604-734-5722



address: 535 Hornby Street • Vancouver, BC V6C 2E8

housing search assistance

Community Living BC Home Share

Home sharing is delivered throughout the province by a network of home sharing providers that are under direct contract with CLBC and by those under contract with qualified community-based agencies. Agencies that offer home sharing as part of an array of residential options are responsible for:

  • implementation of standards for home sharing
  • monitoring individual and program outcomes
  • operations and administration of services
  • recruitment, retention, and support of the home sharing network
  • crisis response
  • complaint resolution

CLBC generally enters into new direct contracts with home sharing providers only if there are no qualified home sharing agencies in the community or if an individual/family specifically requests that CLBC oversee the service.


phone: 604-664-0101 • toll free: 1-877-660-2522 • fax: 604-664-0765



address: 7th Floor, Airport Square • 1200 – West 73rd Avenue • Vancouver, BC V6P 6G5

information services

information about conditions

Autism Society of British Columbia

AutismBC is a parent based and directed society that has worked to provide support to British Columbians affected by autism since 1975. We are a founding member of the Provincial and Territorial Council of Autism Canada (formerly Autism Society Canada and Autism Canada Foundation).


phone: 604-434-0880 • toll free: 1-888-437-0880



address: 3688 Cessna Drive • Richmond, BC V7B 1C7

Autism Community Training British Columbia (ACT BC)

Autism Community Training British Columbia (ACT BC) provides a wide-range of autism-related training to parents and professionals, mostly at Simon Fraser University’s Downtown Campus in Vancouver, Canada. We also web stream events and these are open to registrants internationally. We offer bursaries to parents and professionals, targeting low-income participants.


See our upcoming events here.


toll free: 1-866-939-5188 • local: 604-205-5467 • fax: 604-205-5345



address: 204 – 2735 E Hastings St • Vancouver, BC V5K 1Z3

Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders (CHADD)

Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders (CHADD) is a charitable, volunteer-run organization that aims to help support, educate, and ultimately better the lives of individuals with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and those who care for them. Chapters located in communities across Canada where support meetings are held regularly; also sponsors various workshops, presentations and conferences, distributing the latest breakthroughs and techniques in dealing with or managing ADHD.


phone: 604-222-4043



Lower Mainland Down Syndrome Society

Lower Mainland Down Syndrome Society:

  • Supports parents and families
  • Educates our community (replace stigmas with understanding!)
  • Networks with other organizations and individuals
  • Lobbies for appropriate educational, vocational, and social opportunities

phone: 604-591-2722 • fax: 604-591-2730



address: #201-13281 72nd Ave • Surrey, BC V3W 2N5

general information

BC 211

bc211 is a Vancouver-based non-profit organization that specializes in providing information and referral regarding community, government and social services in BC. Our help line services include 211, the Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service (ADIRS), the Problem Gambling Help Line, Victim Link BC, and the Youth Against Violence Line. Our phone service is 24/7, MULTILINGUAL.


See missing or incorrect information? | email:


phone: 211 (no area code)

TTY: 604 875-0885


BC Aboriginal Network on Disability Society

Services include:

phone: 250-381-7303 • toll free: 1-888-815 -5511 • TTY: 250-381-7312 • confidential fax: 250-381-7343

video conferencing I.P. address:



address: #6 – 1610 Island Highway • Victoria, BC V9B 1H8

The Green Book

The Green Book raises awareness of, and provides access to, essential services within the North Shore community. With more than 30 categories and over 600 community resources listed, the Green Book is the most comprehensive Directory the North Shore has to offer. Each listing contains information such as descriptions of services available, addresses, telephone and fax numbers, email addresses and websites. This allows you, your clients, and/or your customers to make informed decisions efficiently and effectively.


phone: 604-985-7138



address: 201-935 Marine Drive (at the top of the escalator, Cap Mall) • North Vancouver, BC V7P 1S3

Inclusion BC (former BC Association for Community Living)

The Inclusion BC provincial office provides support, education and advocacy where and when it’s needed, breaking down barriers and building communities that include people of all abilities.


What we do:

  • Provide individual advocacy and community referral support
  • Advocate at a systems level for policy change
  • Publish resources and host regional workshops and provincial conferences
  • Promote inclusion through public awareness initiatives and campaigns

phone: 604-777-9100 • fax: 604-777-9394 • toll free: 1-800-618-1119



address: 227 6th Street • New Westminster, BC V3L 3A5

Service BC

Service BC provides front line support for many of the hundreds of programs and services the provincial government offers to residents, businesses and visitors. The Service BC Contact Centre (Enquiry BC) can help you find what you need. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 5:00pm (Pacific Time).


phone: 604-660-2421 • elsewhere in B.C.: 1-800-663-7867 • outside B.C.: 604-660-2421

TDD: Vancouver: 604-775-0303 | elsewhere in BC: 1-800-661-8773

email form:


Service Canada

Service Canada provides Canadians with a single point of access to a wide range of government services and benefits. We are committed to improving services for Canadians by working with partners to provide access to the full range of government services and benefits that Canadians want and need through the Internet, by telephone, in person or by mail.


toll free: 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) | Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., local time.

TTY: 1-800-926-9105


information & referral services


bc211 is a Vancouver-based non-profit organization that specializes in providing information and referral regarding community, government and social services in BC. Our help line services include 211, the Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service (ADIRS), the Problem Gambling Help Line, Victim Link BC, and the Youth Against Violence Line. Our phone service is 24/7, MULTILINGUAL.


See missing or incorrect information? | email:


phone: 211 (no area code)

TTY: 604-875-0885


information about staying safe

Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) is the central agency in Canada that collects information and criminal intelligence on such matters as mass marketing fraud (e.g., telemarketing), advance fee fraud (e.g., West African letters), Internet fraud and identification theft complaints.


Report an incident:


by phone


Toll Free: 1-888-495-8501

Hours of operation Monday-Friday 6:00 am – 1:45 pm


online CAFC Fraud Reporting System


Fraud can now be reported to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) through a new, easy to use, Fraud Reporting System (FRS).


Disability Alliance BC (formerly BC Coalition of People with Disabilities)

Disability Alliance BC’s mission is to support people, with all disabilities, to live with dignity, independence and as equal and full participants in the community. We champion issues impacting the lives of people with disabilities through our direct services, community partnerships, advocacy, research and publications.

Our programs include:

  • Emergency Preparedness
  • Violence Prevention
  • The Community and Residents Mentors Association (CARMA)
  • The Right Fit Pilot Project (RFPP)
  • Working for Change

We help with:

  • Applying for Disability Benefits
  • Filing income taxes
  • the RDSP and DTC

phone: 604-875-0188 • fax: 604-875-9227 • toll free: 1-800-663-1278

Advocacy Access: 604-872-1278



address: 456 W Broadway • Vancouver, BC V5Y 1R3

North Shore Community Response Network (CRN)

North Shore Community Response Network (CRN) offers support to adults who may be abused or neglected, and provides access to some new legal tools. As well there is a need for increased coordination at the community level, not only of responses to individuals who are abused or neglected, but also coordination in terms of working towards prevention over time.


The North Shore CRN is hosted by the North Shore Disability Resource Centre. The North Shore CRN prints materials about abuse and neglect in English, Farsi, and Chinese. For brochures or bookmarks please contact the Coordinator.


To ASK QUESTIONS about abuse, neglect and self-neglect: please call the Seniors Abuse and Information Line (8am-8pm, multilingual) at 604-437-1940; or VictimLink (24/7, multilingual) at 1-800-563-0808.


To REPORT abuse, neglect or self-neglect: please call the Abuse & Neglect Consultant at Vancouver Coastal Health – phone: 604-904-6173 or toll free: 1-877-REACT-99


For Financial Abuse: please call the Public Guardian and Trustee: 604-775-1007.


North Shore: Coordinator | Kari Chambers, email:


fax: 604-531-9498


address: BC Association of Community Response Networks • 15008 – 26th Ave • Surrey, BC V4P 3H5

Seniors One Stop Information Service

The Seniors’ One Stop Information Program is a community based non-profit service which supports the independence, dignity and health of the North Shore’s senior population by providing seniors, their families, friends and service providers access to a wide range of public and private resources.


Our services include:

  • Provide information in a confidential manner on services and programs for seniors
  • Speak with seniors, their families, friends and service providers over the phone or in our office
  • Produce the Seniors Directory annually both in print and on our website
  • Stock an inventory of pamphlets and information sheets about services for seniors both in the office and in the community
  • Assist seniors with some application forms

phone: 604-983-3303



address: North Shore Community Resources (top of the escalator, 2nd floor, Capilano Mall) • 935 Marine Drive • North Vancouver BC V7P 1S3

VictimLink BC

VictimLink BC is a toll-free, confidential, multilingual telephone service available across BCand Yukon 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-563-0808. It provides information and referral services to all victims of crime and immediate crisis support to victims of family and sexual violence, including victims of human trafficking exploited for labour or sexual services.


VictimLink BC provides service in more than 110 languages, including 17 North American aboriginal languages.


phone: 1-800-563-0808 • text: 604-836-6381

TTY: 604-875-0885

to call collect, please call the Telus Relay Service at 711



legal assistance

Access Pro Bono Society of British Columbia

Access Pro Bono Society offers several programs serving the critical legal needs of BC’s individuals and non-profit organizations of limited means, ranging from summary legal advice clinics to full legal representation services.


phone: 604-482-3195 • fax: 604-893-8934

clinics: 604-878-7400



address: 300 – 845 Cambie Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 4Z9

Canadian Human Rights Commission

In Canada, you have the right to live free from discrimination. Human rights laws protect people in Canada from discrimination based on grounds such as race, sex, religion or disability. Anyone who works for or receives services from a business or organization that is regulated by the federal government can make a complaint.

toll free: 1-888-214-1090 • TTY: 1-888-643-3304 • fax: 613-996-9661


Community Integration Services Society

Community Integration Services Society offers a wide range of day program services for adults living with disabilities. We aim to maximize the independence of each of our consumers by developing programs that include various levels of life skills training, education, community involvement, and social activities.


Programs for North Vancouver include:

phone: 604-986-1511 • fax: 604-986-4455



address: Suite 104, 277 Mountain Highway • North Vancouver, BC V7J 3T6


Dial-A-Law is a library of legal information prepared by lawyers. It offers general information on a variety of topics on law in British Columbia. Dial-A-Law is a free service that is available in English, Chinese and Punjabi by telephone and on the Internet. Dial-A-Law is funded by the Law Foundation of British Columbia and is operated by the Canadian Bar Association British Columbia Branch (CBABC).


Dial-A-Law is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call Dial-A-Law if you:

  • think you may have a legal problem and want practical information on the law involved,
  • want to find out about your legal rights and responsibilities, or
  • want to learn more about the law and the legal system in BC

phone: 604-687-4680

toll free (BC): 1-800-565-5297 (604-687-4680 in the Lower Mainland)


Lawyer Referral Service

The Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) is funded by the Law Foundation of British Columbia and operated by the Canadian Bar Association British Columbia Branch (CBABC). The LRS program enables the public to access lawyers and provides the opportunity to have a consultation with a lawyer for up to 30 minutes for a fee of $25 plus taxes.


phone: 604-687-3221 • toll free (BC): 1-800-663-1919 • fax: 604-669-9601 or 1-877-669-9601

advertising email:


STAGE (Supportive Transition Adult Group Education)

STAGE is a transition service for young adults that facilitates growth and independence in educational, vocational and social skills after completing high school.

This program is designed for individuals with disabilities who want to improve academic, work and life skills and will transition out of the service within 1-4 years to access other educational or employment related services and opportunities. This service is best suited to those who wish to further their independence through community-based activities and do not require one to one assistance.


When: Monday to Thursday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Friday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm

Who: 18 – 24 yrs


To apply to the STAGE Program you must first call Community Living British Columbia (CLBC) at 604-981-0321 and speak to a Facilitator. The Facilitator will assist you with developing a plan and if appropriate will make a referral to the program on your behalf.


phone: 604-984-6568



Tenants Rights Action Coalition

Tenants Rights Action Coalition promotes the legal protection of residential tenants across British Columbia by providing information, education, support and research on residential tenancy matters. TRAC provides legal education and information through our website, Tenant Infoline, online course, social media, multilingual resources and legal workshops. For eligible clients, TRAC offers direct advocacy by negotiating resolutions with problem landlords or providing representation at Residential Tenancy Branch dispute resolution hearings.


phone: 604-255-0546

toll free: 1-800-665-1185



Access 2 Entertainment Program

Access 2 Entertainment Program is for people of all ages and types of permanent disabilities who require the assistance of a support person at hundreds of participating entertainment, cultural and recreational venues across Canada. A support person is an adult who accompanies a person with a permanent disability to assist with services that are not provided by the employees at the participating venue, such as assistance with eating, administering medication, communication and use of the facilities.


To apply, click here .


toll free: 1-877-376-6362



BC Camping Association

The British Columbia Camps Association is a governing body that facilitates and promotes an in-depth accreditation process, informs and educates its membership of camping professionals, and advocates the benefits of accredited camps to parents and the BC public.


Find a Camp Dictionary here.


phone: 604-931-6449


address: 3302 Senkler Rd • Belcarra, BC V3H 4S3

BC Mobility Opportunties Society

BC Mobility Opportunities Society empowers and inspires people with physical disabilities to re-imagine what is possible through the provision of wilderness access opportunities. British Columbia Mobility Opportunities Society (BCMOS) was formed to make the Vancouver outdoors more accessible, which we do through our hiking and paddling programs.


phone: 604-688-6464



address: Suite 318 – 425 Carrall Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 6E3

BC Wheelchair Sports Association (BCWSA)

BCWSA supports the growth and development of four member and two associate member sports: wheelchair athletics (track, field and throws), wheelchair basketball (through BC Wheelchair Basketball Society), wheelchair rugby, wheelchair tennis, and target sports. Each of these is played by athletes from the casual beginner level all the way to the elite level. Whether weekend recreation or organised competitions are your interest, there are many opportunities for everyone to get involved.


phone: 604-333-3520 • fax: 604-326-1229 • toll free: 1-877-737-3090


address: 780 SW Marine Drive • Vancouver, BC V6P 5Y7


ConnecTra helps people with disabilities to connect to their communities. ConnecTra offers The Employment Mentorship Support Project (EMSP). The project will test and evaluate whether the pairing of people with physical disabilities who are seeking employment with community-based, trained volunteer mentors can help reduce obstacles and increase the potential for employment.


The EMSP takes place in six Metro Vancouver communities: North Shore, Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Tri-Cities and Surrey. We have Community Connectors, people with physical disabilities themselves, recruiting participants and volunteer mentors in each of these communities.


The EMSP offers eight months of one-on-one volunteer support for people with disabilities who want to explore work, social and leisure options. Participants will NOT be pressured into work, and will be at NO RISK of losing benefits.


From more information please contact your local Community Connector at ConnecTra.


North and West Vancouver: Community Connector | Louisa Bridgman – or 604-417-1765


phone: 604-688-6464 ext. 115



address: Suite 318 – 425 Carrall Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 6E3

Disabled Independent Gardeners' Association (DIGA)

The Disabled Independent Gardeners Association provides opportunities for people with physical disabilities to actively participate in gardening. Members work with volunteers to actively participate in designing and tending to gardens.


phone: 604-688-6464



address: 318 – 425 Carrall Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 6E3

Disabled Sailing Association of BC

The Disabled Sailing Association of BC provides people with disabilities the opportunity to leave their restrictions behind and become active participants in an exciting outdoor sport.


Lower Mainland Sailing Chapter


Jericho Sailing Centre

1300 Discovery Street,

Vancouver, BC


general contact:


phone: 604-688-6463 • book: 604-222-3003 • fax: 604-688-6463



address: Suite A304, 770 Pacific Boulevard South • Plaza of Nations • Vancouver, BC V6B 5E7

Leisure Access Card - West Vancouver

If you are a person with a disability, the Leisure Access Card makes it easier for your to use our programs and services with support. You can also meet with a district staff person to discuss adaptations or ideas for making your experience with us better. The application is mandatory for participants over the age of seven who use our facilities more than once with a support worker.


To apply, click here .


phone: 604-925-7279



address: 750 17th St • West Vancouver, BC V5Y 1Z4

North Vancouver Recreation Commission

North Vancouver Recreation Commission’s mission is to build healthy individuals, families and communities and we know that recreation and culture are vital to the overall health, wellness and creativity of our community. That’s why we provide and facilitate quality municipal recreation and culture programs, services and events that enhance the quality of life for all North Vancouver residents.


Learn more about our services: click here .


phone: 604-987-Play (7529)



address: 851 W Queens Road • North Vancouver, BC V7N 2L3

Pacific Riding for Developing Abilities (PRDA)

Pacific Riding for Developing Abilities was established in 1973 to provide therapeutic horseback riding to individuals with physical, cognitive and emotional disabilities. For over 44 years, we’ve been giving youth and adults with varying disabilities the chance to bond with horses, make lasting friendships, have fun, and receive therapy at the same time. PRDA provides a caring and welcoming environment, and we pride ourselves on being a safe place for people to experience new things. We want our riders to feel like they can challenge themselves knowing that there is a strong support system in place for them should they require help.


See our staff and all the horses: click here .


phone: 604-530-8717 • fax: 604-530-8617



address: 1088–208th Street • Langley, BC V2Z 1T4

Real Talk

Real Talk creates a safe space to have honest conversations about dating, love, relationships and sex for everyone. We are a sexual health initiative aimed at people with cognitive disabilities and their supporters. We host educational/social events where people can have open, honest conversations about dating, love, relationships, and sex. Events happen in and around the Lower Mainland area.


event page:

question or feedback:


Richmond Therapeutic Equestrian Society

Richmond Therapeutic Riding Association provides Therapeutic Riding for people, primarily children and youth with disabilities. We offer several sessions of lessons throughout the calendar year.


phone: 604-241-7837



address: 13671 No.3 Road • Richmond, BC V7A 1X7

Special Olympics BC

Special Olympics BC is dedicated to enriching the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities through sport. Through the power and joy of sports, people with intellectual disabilities discover new strengths and abilities, skills and success. Special Olympics athletes find joy, confidence, and fulfillment – on the playing field and in life.


phone: 604-737-3078 • fax: 604-737-3080



address: 3701 Hastings St., Unit 210 • Burnaby, BC V5C 2H6


SportAbility is a multi-sport society that ensures and facilitates opportunities in physical activity and sport. We enable all British Columbians who have a physical disability to enhance their quality of life by being active in their community and beyond. portAbility has a number of sports programs for athletes with physical disabilities. These sports include 7-A-Side Soccer, Power Soccer, Sledge Hockey, and Boccia.


phone: 604-324-1411



address: 780 SW Marine Drive • Vancouver BC V6P 5Y7


Jade Werger – Sport Development Coordinator


Theatre Terrific

Theatre Terrific pioneers inclusive opportunities for artists of all abilities to develop performance skills and collaborate in the production of theatrical works. Through its work, Theatre Terrific challenges audiences to be open to the impact of thought provoking art. Theatre Terrific pioneers inclusive opportunities for artists of all abilities to develop performance skills and collaborate in the production of theatrical works. Through its work, Theatre Terrific challenges audiences to be open to the impact of thought provoking art.


phone: 604-222-4020 • fax: 604-669-2662

general inquires:

Artistic Director:


address: The Woodwards Building • Suite #430 – 111 West Hastings Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 1H4

Valley Therapeutic Equestrian Association (VTEA)

Valley Therapeutic Equestrian Association (VTEA) is a registered volunteer-based charity that provides medically-approved therapeutic horseback riding and hippotherapy treatments for children and adults of varying abilities. Since 1983, the goal of VTEA has been to enhance the quality of life for our riders by improving their physical, mental, and emotional well being with the help of our empathetic and gentle horses. The riders find they can interact with their environment in new, powerful, and inspiring ways.


phone: 604-857-1267



address: 3330 256th Street • Langley, BC V4W 1Y4

Vancouver Adaptive Snow Sports (VASS)

Vancouver Adaptive Snow Sports (VASS) runs skiing and snowboarding programs for persons with a disability at Grouse, Seymour and Cypress Mountains. VASS makes the mountain experience accessible to all. VASS is a registered non-profit society (89254 2168 RR0001), operated by a dedicated group of volunteers, which includes an active Board of Directors, program coordinators, instructors and administrators.


phone: 604-646-8277



address: Suite 322, 125A-1030 Denman Street • Vancouver, BC V6G 2M6

Water Wheelchairs and Mobi-Mats - City of Vancouver

Water Wheelchairs and Mobi-Mats makes the city’s most popular beaches and watering holes more accessible to people with mobility challenges, allowing all Vancouverites the chance to enjoy the sunshine this year.


Ten new floating wheelchairs will provide safe entry to the ocean with the help of an attendant and be available around the city as of June 1. In addition, last week at Kitsilano Beach, the park board installed Mobi-Mats — a non-slip beach access pathway, the first of which rolled out at English Bay last summer, according to the Vancouver Park Board.


phone: 604-873-7000


Zajac Ranch

The Zajac Ranch provides camp experiences that empower children of all abilities to participate, foster the development of life-long skills and independence and create lasting opportunities for friendship and fulfillment. Including Water Sports, Petting Zoo, Gymnasium, Amphitheatre, Organic Garden, Equestrian Center, Swimming Pool, Climbing Wall, Canoeing and Kayaking, Archery Area, High Ropes Alpine Challenge Course and Low Ropes Team Development Course. Activities are designed to be accessible for children of all abilities, ages 7 to 21 years. Referral by physician or health organization. Fee for program but some financial assistance may be available


phone: 604-739-0444 • fax: 604-739-0441



address: 300–2006 West 10th Avenue • Vancouver, BC V6J 2B3

safety and abuse prevention

24 Hour Women's Support Line: 604-987-3374

For immediate support and information, call our Women’s 24-Hour Support Line. Free and confidential. Run by the North Shore Crisis Service Society.


24-Hour Women’s Support Line: 604-987-3374



Public Guardian and Trustee

The Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT) provides services to clients through three broad operational program areas: Child and Youth Services; Services to Adults; and Estate and Personal Trust Services. These programs are in turn supported by Client Finance and Administrative Services; Corporate Projects and Strategic Operations; and Legal Services. The Executive Office provides overall direction and coordination.

phone: 604-660-4444 • fax: 604-660-0374

email: Click Here


address: 700-808 West Hastings Street • Vancouver, BC V6C 3L3

ReAct Adult Protection Program

ReAct Adult Protection Program receive reports, provide consultation and coordinate responses to adults who are abused, neglected and self-neglected and are unable to seek support and assistance on their own due to:

  • Physical restraint
  • Physical handicap that limits their ability to seek help, or
  • An illness, disease, injury or other conditions that affect their ability to make decisions about the abuse or neglect.

To download our brochure, click here .


phone: 604-904-6173 or 1-877-REACT-99 or 1-877-732-2899 • fax: 604-904-6179



address: #160 2121 Marine Drive- 3rd floor • West Vancouver, BC V7V 4Y2

Seniors First BC (formerly known as BC Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support)

The Seniors Abuse and Information Line (SAIL) is a toll-free telephone line which is staffed 7 days a week (excluding holidays), 8am to 8pm. SAIL is a safe place for older adults, and those who care about them, to talk to someone about situations where they feel they are being abused or mistreated, or to receive information about elder abuse prevention.


Our services include:

phone: 604-688-1927 (Vancouver)



address: #150-900 Howe Street • Vancouver, BC V6Z 2M4


SAIL – Seniors Abuse and Information Line
Language interpretation available: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday


phone: 604-437-1940 • toll free: 1-866-437-1940

TTY: 604-428-3359 | 1-855-306-1443 (toll free)

fax: 604-437-1929

Suicide / Crisis Line 604-872-3311 or 1-800-784-2433

Help is available! We are here to listen, here to help – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.



  • Anywhere in BC 1-800-SUICIDE: 1-800-784-2433
  • Mental Health Support Line: 310-6789
  • Vancouver: 604-872-3311
  • Sunshine Coast/Sea to Sky: 1-866-661-3311
  • TTY: 1-866-872-0113
  • Seniors Distress Line: 604-872-1234
  • Online Chat Service for (Noon to 1am)
  • Online Chat Service for Adults: (Noon to 1am)

Suicide/Crisis Line 604-872-3311 or 1-800-784-2433



Vancouver Coastal Health - report adult abuse and neglect

Vancouver Coastal Health has designated responders throughout service delivery areas including: Richmond, Vancouver, North Shore, Sea to Sky, Sunshine Coast, Powell River and Central Coast.


phone: 1-877-REACT-99 (1-877-732-2899) or 604-904-6175



address: 3625 Banff Court • North Vancouver, BC V7H 2Z8


art therapy

Vancouver Art Therapy Institute

The Vancouver Art Therapy Institute (VATI) offers a variety of ongoing support clinics and art therapy workshops:


Monthly supervision groups for professional art therapists: We welcome you to join us for clinical support and the opportunity to connect with other professionals in the field. Groups are limited to 6 participants and engage both art making and discussion to work with issues related to professional practice. For more information, click here.

Free Individual Art Therapy ($10 materials fee): VATI offers an onsite art therapy clinic staffed by students from both of our programs. Students receive weekly supervision by our registered clinical supervisors. For more information: click here.


phone: 604-681-8284 • fax: 604-331-8262



address: 1575 Johnston Street (Granville Island) • Vancouver, BC V6H 3R9

audiology & speech therapy

BC Association of Speech / Language Pathologists & Audiologists

Speech and Hearing BC believes in the importance of providing treatment to individuals of all ages who may experience problems with their speech, language, hearing, voice, swallowing, stuttering, or social communication. We provide educational resources for those wishing to find out more about a wide range of speech-language and hearing disorders, and support advocacy efforts for continued access to these services.


We can connect people who have communication disorders with highly trained, certified professionals across BC who can help. To find a professional, click here .


phone: 604-420-2222 • toll free: 1-877-BCASLPA (222-7572) • fax: 604-736-5606

email: (Janet Campbell, Operations Manager)


address: 402-1755 West Broadway • Vancouver, BC V6K 4L9

Vancouver Coastal Health - Audiology Services

Vancouver Coastal Health’s program offers comprehensive hearing services for the following North and West Vancouver residents: children age 0-19 years and developmentally delayed adults. We are also a clinical practicum setting for graduate students from the University of British Columbia.


For a referral for hearing services, click here.


phone: (604) 983-6700 • fax: (604) 983-6839



address: 132 West Esplanade Avenue • North Vancouver, BC V7M 1A2

music therapy

Music Therapy Association of BC

Music Therapy Association of BC’s mission is to promote excellence in music therapy practice, research, education and development, to further the awareness of music therapy in British Columbia and across Canada. Music therapy research and clinical practice have proven to be effective with people of all ages and abilities. Whether a person’s challenges are physical, emotional, spiritual or psychological, music therapy can address a person’s needs.


To find a Music Therapist, click here .


phone: 604-924-0046 (voicemail only) • toll free: 1-800-424-0556 (Canada and USA) • fax: 604.983.7559



address: 2055 Purcell Way • North Vancouver, BC V7J 3H5

occupational & physiotherapy

Physiotherapy Association of BC

The Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia leads the physiotherapy profession by fostering excellence in practice, continuing education and advocacy. Together, we inspire healthy lifestyles.


To find a Physio: click here.
For access, fees, and coverage for physiotherapy in BC: click here.


phone: 1-604-736-5130 • toll free: 1-888-330-3999 • fax: 1-604-736-5606



address: #402 – 1755 W Broadway • Vancouver, BC V6J 4S5

transition services

high school and transition services

The Advocate for Service Quality

The Advocate for Service Quality (OASQ) helps government to better support people with an intellectual disability.


The Advocate for Service Quality helps government better support:

  • Adults with a developmental disability (this includes Autism Spectrum Disorder and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder)
  • Teens with a developmental disability who are almost an adult
  • Teens with special needs
  • Family members and others who support a person with a developmental disability

The OASQ may act as a neutral third party with you, your family and service providers. We’ll help solve problems and find solutions to concerns and complaints.


phone: 604-775-1238 • TDD: 604-775-0303



Community Living BC

Community Living BC (CLBC) works in collaboration with youth and their families and other government organizations and ministries to support youth transitioning to adulthood. For some youth, transition planning includes applying for CLBC adult services. CLBC provides a range of community living supports and services to eligible adults to assist them to live as fully and independently as possible in the community.


CLBC has a youth transition support policy that describes CLBC’s role for assisting youth and their families before a youth turns 19. This information sheet answers some common questions about CLBC’s role for supporting youth transitions.


phone: 604-981-0321

general inquiries:


address: #210–1200 Lynn Valley Road • North Vancouver, BC V7J 2A2

Ministry for Children and Family Development

Featured services:

  • Protecting Children: It is your duty to report child abuse. Learn more about child protection services in B.C.
  • Child & Youth Mental Health: Community-based, specialized mental health services to support children with mental health challenges and their families.
  • Youth & Family Services: Sometimes families can benefit from a little extra help. Learn more about how to engage with youth, find specialized support for important transitions, and access useful services to help keep your family together during challenging times.

TDD: 604 775-0303 • general inquiries: 1-877-387-7027 • fax: 250-356-3007



address: 304-221 West Esplanade • North Vancouver, BC V7M 3J3

Ministry of Social Development & Poverty Reduction - Transition Planning for Youth & Young Adults

If you’re a young person with a developmental disability, moving to adulthood can be a challenge. If you’re the parent, guardian, or caregiver of a young person with a developmental disability, helping them move towards adulthood can be just as challenging. A Navigator can help you and your family with this transition. Services to Adults with Developmental Disabilities (STADD) will help.


phone: 1-855-356-5609 • TDD: 604-775-0303


North Vancouver School District

The North Vancouver School District provides comprehensive educational programs to meet the diverse needs of students. In addition to the required program defined by the Ministry of Education, the School District has a rich array of specialty programs and services.


Inclusive Education: The North Vancouver School District is committed to the philosophy of inclusion which is founded on the belief that all students should be educated in neighbourhood schools, in regular classrooms and in age appropriate settings to the maximum extent possible. Providing programs and services within neighbourhood schools will require layers of support including curricular adaptations to instructional practice that will meet the needs of the individual.


For the full list of programs and services, click here.

For a school directory, click here .


phone: 604-903-3444 • fax: 604-903-3445



address: 2121 Lonsdale Avenue • North Vancouver, BC V7M 2K6

transition planning for youth & young adults

Aged Out: The Adoptive Families Association of BC

The Adoptive Families Association of BC is dedicated to supporting youth in and from government care, adoptees, and adoptive families across British Columbia. We offer youth bursaries as well as programs like This program gives youth a place to be heard, feel supported, and develop life skills. We also promote awareness of the thousands of BC kids and youth in the care of the Ministry of Children and Family Development, hundreds of whom are waiting for a family. We provide province-wide information, support, and education to parents who are thinking about adopting, or who have already adopted.


Aged Out was developed by the Adoptive Families Association of BC in partnership with the Ministry of Children and Family Development for young adults who were in government care in BC. It’s an up-to-date warehouse of information on resources and services available to young adults and a learning tool to help people feel empowered as they leave care.


phone: 1-877-ADOPT-07 (1-877-236-7807)



address: #200-7342 Winston Street • Burnaby, BC V5A 2G9

Services to Adults with Developmental Disabilities (STAND)

If you’re a young person with a developmental disability, moving to adulthood can be a challenge. If you’re the parent, guardian, or caregiver of a young person with a developmental disability, helping them move towards adulthood can be just as challenging. A Navigator can help you and your family with this transition.


Services to Adults with Developmental Disabilities (STADD) is a partnership among;

  • Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD)
  • Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction (SDPR)
  • Schools and school districts
  • Delegated Aboriginal Agencies (DAAs)
  • Community Living BC (CLBC)
  • WorkBC Employment Service Centres
  • Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training (AEST)
  • Health Authorities
  • Public Guardian and Trustee
  • Various other community organizations.

A Navigator can help you plan for the future and on your journey to becoming an adult. Find a Navigators are available in 140 communities throughout BC.


phone: 604-660-2421 • toll free (BC): 1-800-663-7867 • outside BC: 604-660-2421

TDD: Vancouver: 604-775-0303 | elsewhere in BC: 1-800-661-8773


transportation and travel

Access to Travel (Government of Canada)

The Access to Travel (ATT) website, your accessible travel information source, provides information on accessible transportation and travel across Canada with the aim of making accessible travel an easier and more enjoyable experience for Canadians with disabilities and seniors, as well as for their families and caregivers. The website includes information on transportation between Canadian cities by air, rail, ferry and intercity bus; local transportation; accessibility of airport terminals; provincial tourism; service standards, and much more.


phone: 1-800-665-6478 • TTY: 1-800-823-3823 • toll free: 1-800-665-6478

fax: 613-990-1719


Accessible Travel

Spinal Cord Injury BC’s new resources will help you plan your trip so that you get the most out of your travel experience–regardless of your level of ability. Their advice was collected from a panel of travelers who have collectively explored every single continent over several decades in their wheelchairs!



phone: 604-324-3611 • fax: 604-326-1229



address: 780 SW Marine Drive • Vancouver, BC V6P 5Y7

BC Ferries

Accessibility at BC Ferries: Persons with disabilities who will require special assistance, in the event of an emergency, are asked to advise the ticket agent on arrival at the terminal. Once you have boarded the vessel please discuss your specific needs with the Chief Steward or request to speak with the ship’s First Officer. BC Ferries provides a variety of services for persons with disabilities to ensure a safe and comfortable journey for our passengers.


BC Residents Fare: Permanent Disability: Discount fares are available for residents of British Columbia who have a permanent disability (this applies to passenger fares only). To receive the discounted fare you must apply for a BC Ferries Disabled Status Identification (DSI) Card, which you will present to the Ticket Agent when you arrive at the terminal.


Download the Disabled Status Identification Application and submit it to BC Ferries at:


Attention: Customer Service Support

Suite 500, 1321 Blanshard Street

Victoria, BC V8W 0B6


All DSI card holders must present government issued photo identification to receive the discounted rate. If you would prefer to have your old card updated with a photograph, give us a call for assistance at 1-888-BCFERRY (223-3779). Disabled Status Cards have a five year expiry. Customers wishing to renew their card can do so by reapplying using the form.


Please note: If the above documentation is not provided at the ticket booth you will be charged the regular fare.


Personal Assistance: BC Ferries staff are available to answer any questions you might have and familiarize customers with the available amenities. Customers who require personal assistance while onboard our ships, are asked to travel with a companion who is able to provide the personal assistance required. If you have any questions about what assistance we can provide please call 1 888 BCFERRY (223-3779).


Accessible Services within BC Ferries:

  • AEDs: Each vessel has designated crew members trained in the use of Automatic External Defibrillators..
  • Cabins: BC Ferries’ vessels serving the Port Hardy-Prince Rupert, and Prince Rupert-Haida Gwaii (formerly Queen Charlotte Islands) routes have a limited number of adapted cabins designed to meet the accessibility requirements of persons with disabilities. Customers who use wheelchairs, or who have mobility disabilities, are permitted to reserve the Adapted Cabin in advance.
  • Service Animals: Service animals are permitted in our terminals and onboard our ships. Grass areas are available at most terminals. We appreciate you helping us keep our terminals clean by cleaning up after your service animal.
  • Wheelchairs: We have a limited number of manual wheelchairs at our Metro Vancouver to Vancouver Island and Sunshine Coast terminals and onboard our larger vessels, available to customers travelling without a vehicle. Reservations are required. Please call 1 888 BCFERRY (223-3779) at least 24 hours in advance of your travels to reserve a wheelchair or arrange assistance.

If you are travelling through one of our Gulf Island or Northern terminals and require assistance please give us a call at least 48 hours in advance of your travels at 1 888 BCFERRY (223-3779) to see how we can assist you. Customers travelling without a vehicle, using our wheelchair assistance program, will need to check their baggage in advance of being assisted to the pre-board lounge or to the ship.


Joint Committee on Accessibility: BC Ferries is committed to improving accessibility. There is a joint committee with representatives from various organizations for persons with special needs to better understand how BC Ferries can improve service for our customers with disabilities. The purpose of this committee is to review accessibility issues at BC Ferries and institute procedural and structural changes to improve accessibility. While vessel modifications are often restricted by the age and physical structure as well as financial considerations, our new ferries are being built with barrier-free transportation in mind.


Questions: Any questions, or comments, regarding accessibility with BC Ferries can be directed to the knowledgeable staff at any of the terminals or the toll-free number: 1-888-BCFERRY (223-3779). Or punch in *BCF (*223) on Rogers or Telus Mobility networks. From outside North America, call (250) 386-3431. TTY users can contact BC Ferries through TELUS Relay Services at either: 711 or 1-800-972-6509.


toll free: 1-888-BC FERRY (223-3779)


address: 1010 Canada Place • Vancouver, BC V6C 0B9

Greyhound Accessible Travel

Our goal is to make your travel on Greyhound a safe, pleasant and convenient experience. Our drivers, customer service personnel and contractors are available to meet the needs of passengers with special needs. We provide assistance with boarding and de-boarding buses, luggage, transfers, stowage and retrieval of mobility devices. This service is provided during transfers, meal and rest stops and other times as reasonably requested. We can help whether you are traveling alone, using various mobility devices, or being accompanied by a service animal.


Personal Care Attendant: On request, Greyhound will provide a personal care attendant with a traveling ticket to be used by this attendant accompanying a person with a disability on the scheduled route for no extra charge. Greyhound will accept the determination made by or on behalf of a person with a disability that the person does not require a personal care attendant during travel. However, a person wishing to travel with a personal care attendant must provide a letter from a health care professional, or a disability travel card issued by a recognized organization representing consumers with disabilities which uses a health care professional in assessing that a person cannot travel independently.


Greyhound will acknowledge its acceptance that a person requires a personal care attendant by issuing an entitlement card. To fill out an entitlement card before your day of travel, please contact Greyhound Canada Accessible Travel Office at 1-800-752-4841. This acknowledgement can then be used by the person for any future bus travel on scheduled services with any operator covered by this Code.


A person with a disability who requires a personal care attendant when traveling within the province of Québec must submit an application form to l’Association des propriétaires d’autobus du Québec (APAQ) to obtain the Québec Intercity Bus Service Attendant Card. This card is recognized by Greyhound within the province of Québec only, and is for the use of persons with significant and permanent disabilities.

The personal care attendant will assist the person with:

  • transactions at the ticket counter;
  • moving to and from the boarding area;
  • stowing and retrieving any baggage;
  • eating;
  • administering medication;
  • using the facilities of an on–board washroom or a washroom at a stop;
  • assembling and disassembling a mobility aid at locations other than bus terminals; and
  • making contact for assistance on behalf of a person with a disability.

For additional information, please visit The Code.


Service Animal: Greyhound will accept one certified service animal per passenger with a disability for carriage without charge and will permit the animal, if properly harnessed, to accompany the passenger on the bus. The service animal will remain on the floor at the passenger’s feet during travel. The service animal is the responsibility of its owner and must be under the control of its owner at all times (i.e., leash, harness or carrier). The service animal must ride in the bus within the customer’s space. Service animals may not travel in the aisle or occupy a seat. Greyhound reserves the right to refuse passage to any animal that poses a direct threat to the health and safety of other customers, Greyhound personnel or contractors.


Passengers should note that they are required to produce written proof to the operator that the service animal has been trained and certified by a professional service animal institution.


For additional information, please visit The Code.


Hearing-impaired: Greyhound Canada has a toll-free number operating from 5 a.m. until midnight for the hearing-impaired. That number is 1-800-397-7870.


Sight-impaired: Greyhound Canada offers services to our vision-impaired passengers. The following criteria must be met: Sight-impaired persons must be registered with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind and sighted escorts presenting a C.N.I.B National Identity Card completed and signed by an authorized representative of the C.N.I.B.


Reduced fares will be given to a special needs passenger unable to travel alone (regardless of age) and accompanied by an adult attendant if the disabled person has a Disability Travel Card from the Easter Seals/March of Dimes National Council or its designated affiliates.


  • Both the permanently disabled person and the attendant must travel together the entire trip. The adult attendant must be able to assist the permanently disabled person getting on/off the bus and also during the trip without asking for assistance.
  • A valid Disability Travel Card issued by the Easter Seals/March of Dimes National Council or its designated affiliates must be presented. This card must be returned to the issuing officer and replaced with a new one if the eligible person changes his/her name or address.
  • If a vision-impaired passenger is traveling with a child, there is no reduction in fare for that child.

Mobility-impaired: Greyhound Canada is proud to welcome eligible scooter passengers using a personal mobility scooter at major company locations and will accept their scooter as a baggage item, to be carried in the baggage compartment under the coach using a provided Greyhound Canada portable scooter ramp.

No fees will be charged to carry the scooter as baggage, and the scooter will not count towards excess baggage. For safety reasons, on the recommendation of Transport Canada, scooters may not be placed on wheelchair lifts or secured in the passenger area of the coach. Eligible scooter passengers may not sit on their scooter in the passenger area of the coach at any time.


Eligible scooter passenger: A passenger who is able to climb the stairs of the coach without assistance. Passengers who cannot climb the stairs of the coach on their own must travel with a wheelchair and request a wheelchair-accessible coach through Greyhound Canada Accessible Travel Office at 1-800-752-4841.


A Personal mobility scooter (scooter) that can be accommodated by Greyhound Canada is defined as follows:

  • Able to collapse or be disassembled in order to fit in the coach’s baggage compartment, to the following maximum dimensions:
    • Width: 56″ or 142.2 cm
    • Height: 36″ or 91.4 cm
    • Length: 96″ or 243.8 cm
  • Maximum weight permitted: 600 lbs. or 272 kg

Booking a Scooter Trip: In order to book a trip, eligible scooter passengers must contact Greyhound Canada Travel Assist Office at 1-800-752-4841 and request a scooter accessible trip.

  • Passengers must call at least 48 hours in advance for all scooter ramp reservations.
  • At the time of booking, eligible scooter passengers must:
  • Declare their intention to transport a personal mobility scooter
  • Declare their ability to climb the stairs of the coach without assistance
  • Declare the weight of their scooter does not exceed 600 lbs (272 kg) and that the dimensions of their scooter when collapsed for traveling do not exceed the maximum dimensions as follows: Width: 56″ or 142.2 cm, Height: 36″ or 91.4 cm, Length: 96″ or 243.8 cm

Loading Procedures: At time of loading, the scooter must be collapsed or disassembled by passenger or passenger’s assistant. The batter must be disconnected, if appropriate. The scooter will be loaded and unloaded by a passenger-provided assistant or Greyhound Canada employee at both origin and destination point at any location using a Greyhound Canada scooter ramp.


Rules for Special Needs Passengers: Special needs passengers will be charged regular one-way or return fares. Seeing Eye or Hearing Ear service animals and accompanying guide will travel in conjunction with the fare to the special needs passenger at no extra charge. This special privilege permits special needs person and escort to travel together at the rate of a person traveling individually. Special needs persons will be pre-boarded.


Note: Special needs person tickets will be based on regular fares and not applicable on excursion fares, unlimited travel tickets, blind and escort or other reduced fares, or to or through the United States.


Accessibility Plan and Policies for Greyhound Canada: Greyhound Canada Transportation ULC is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities. This 2014-21 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that Greyhound Canada will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities. Click here to view the plan.


Notice of temporary disruption: In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, Greyhound will notify the affected customers promptly in person (accessible coach reservation) or by posted signage (facility disruption). The notification will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.


Pacific Central Station – Main Station For Departing

1150 Station Street

Vancouver, BC V6A 4C7


toll free: 1-877-GO-DOG-GO (1-877-463-6446)

Accessible Travel Office at 1-800-752-4841.

Customers with Disabilities Travel Assistance Line at 1-800-752-4841



Handycard and Taxi Savers

Do you have a permanent physical, sensory or cognitive disability and require assistance to use conventional public transit? HandyCard fare discounts and TaxiSaver coupons can help keep you connected. Get your application form here .


phone: 778-452-2860



HandyDART is a door-to-door, shared ride service for passengers with physical or cognitive disabilities who are unable to use conventional public transit without assistance. The driver will come to your home, help you board on the vehicle, and get you to the door of your destination safely.


More information:

sign-up for HandyDART: 604-953-3680

farecards: 778-452-2889

book or cancel a trip: 604-575-6600


ICBC Drivers Discount

If you’ve been approved for a fuel tax refund under the B.C. government Fuel Tax Refund Program for Persons with Disabilities, you may also qualify for a 25 per cent discount on your Basic Autoplan—even if you don’t drive the vehicle you’re insuring. Eligible drivers must bring appropriate documentation to their Autoplan broker’s office to have the discount added to their policy. More information on the Fuel Tax Refund Program can be found on this Ministry of Finance tax bulletin.


phone: 604-770-1911 • general Vancouver phone: 604-520-8222 • toll free: 1-800-910-4222


address: Bay City Insurance Services Ltd. • 36-1199 Lynn Valley Road • North Vancouver, BC V7J 3H2

Parking Permit Program for People with Disabilities (SPARC BC)

A parking permit for people with disabilities ensures that when a person has mobility limitations, they can park in one of the designated parking spots throughout British Columbia. People with mobility limitations are entitled to a permit even if they do not own a vehicle. As long as the parking permit holder is either driving or being transported in the vehicle, a valid parking permit may be displayed on the rear view mirror when the vehicle is parked in a designated spot.


Access the application form here.


phone: 604-718-7744 • toll free (BC): 1-888-718-7794 • fax: 604-736-8697



address: 4445 Norfolk Street • Burnaby, BC V5G 0A7

VIA Rail - Pacific Central Station

At many stations, passengers in Sleeper, Touring or Sleeper Touring class and Business class can enjoy priority boarding. Please check beforehand if your departure station(s) have priority boarding.


Seniors with difficulty walking, passengers with young children, pregnant women and all passengers with reduced mobility may also board the train before other passengers at stations where this is possible. If you qualify for any one of these categories, please mention this when you book your ticket. Then come to the station early and let station staff know what help you have requested.


If a Support Person is needed for a passenger who cannot travel alone without one, they must travel with a companion capable of providing the required assistance. The Support Person must be at least 12 years old and travels free in the same class of service. For more information, click here.


toll free: 888-842-7245 • TTY: 1-800-268-9503

fax: 514-81-6104



address: 1150 Station Street • Vancouver, BC V6A 4C7

veterans' services

Veterans Affairs Canada

Veterans Affairs Canada is funded by the government of Canada and provides many services to support their veterans including:

phone: 1-866-522-2122



address: 605 Robson Street, Suite 900 • Vancouver, BC V6B 5J3


Counselling and Referral Service


toll free: 1-800-268-7708 • TDD/TTY: 1-800-567-5803


North Shore Community Resource Society (NSCR)

North Shore Community Resource Society’s mandate is to promote a healthy, strong and connected community by serving residents and organizations on the North Shore which comprises the District of North Vancouver, City of North Vancouver, District of West Vancouver, Bowen Island and Lions Bay. NSCR pursues its mandate by providing a broad spectrum of resources and services to residents of North Shore municipalities with programming for families and children, seniors, information and referral, volunteer connections, legal information and advocacy, and more.


NSCR has a multi-service agency with the following programs:

phone: 604-985-7138 • fax: 604-985-0645



address: Suite 201-935 Marine Drive • North Vancouver, BC V7P 1S3

Tetra Society of North America

The Tetra Society is a non-profit organization, founded in 1987 in Vancouver, BC that recruits skilled volunteers to create customized assistive devices for people of any age with physical disabilities.


National Program Coordinator | Eric Molendyk – or 604-688-6464, ext. 117


phone: 604-688-6464 • fax: 604-688-6463 • toll free: 1-877-688-8762


address: Suite 318 – 425 Carrall Street • Vancouver, BC V6B 6E3

won't you join us?

Each of us has a role to play in creating the community we want to live, work and play in. Join our email list to keep up to date on NSDRC news. Let's build a better community together!

North Shore Disability Resource Centre

3158 Mountain Highway

North Vancouver, BC

V7K 2H5

phone: 604-985-5371

fax: 604-985-7594


connect with us

United Way member agency

The NSDRC was started by a group of families in 1976. In the years since, we have worked for a "Community for All" by developing and providing community housing, infant development programs, youth groups, community-based services, and information and advocacy.

We are grateful for the opportunity to work, live and play on the unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.